Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'xpoem installation question'

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 charlie j

charlie j

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:34 PM

I am installing microsoft xp pro oem with sp1 on a used computer with multiple drives (current os failed microsofts genuine test) and I have a question about a windows setup "popup" i received.
popup read setup cannot continue because the version of windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD. and then a warning if I delete the newer version files and settings cannot be recovered.
Then further info states that if I wish to keep both versions I would need to select a new destination folder for this version of windows.
How would I install this CD onto one of my other drives?
Thanks
Charlie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

Are you wanting to get rid of the non-genuine OS?

#3 charlie j

charlie j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:25 PM

Either way would be ok, but there are some programs I would like to keep

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:32 PM

You wont be able to keep any programs on the illegal version of Windows. You will need to reinstall all programs on your new version. You will also need to boot that CD from the BIOS and reformat the drive to reinstall Windows.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:55 AM

Just a note...I would remove/detach all extraneous drivea before attempting the XP, SP1 install...no point in having extraneous potential factors to consider.

If you have a MS Genuine XP CD, it will allow you to delete the existing install...then format/create a new partition on which XP will be installed.

CDs prepared by OEMs (HP, Lenovo, et alia) are not the same as MS Genuine XP CDs.

Of course...the install CD requires a valid license for that version of Windows.

Louis

#6 charlie j

charlie j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:40 PM

Louis,
Thank you for the reply, the cd is a dell reinstall and it's going on a home built tower by former owner. I will "disconnect" all other drives at time of install (glad you mentioned this).
I guess my only concern at this time would be all of the custom settings in bios, would i lose those settings once I install this xp pro?

Charlie

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:11 PM

Even if you lose BIOS settings...you can always reset them, at any time.

About the only BIOS settings that a user has to adjust...revolve around boot options (changing periodically), possible SATA or RAID settings...or adding something like a video card and foregoing the onboard.

Aside from those examples, the default options employed by the BIOS carry most of us forward to a working system.

Another possible consideration that I just thought about...a restore/recovery partition. If that disk requires such...or your system contains one, I think it might be an additional consideration. I don't have any real experience with Dell systems or anything other than MS Genuine XP CDs which I purchased.

Louis

#8 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:32 PM

the cd is a dell reinstall and it's going on a home built tower by former owner.

You can not do this. The Dell CD can only be used to reinstall on a Dell PC or the OEM license will not be able to be activated as a valid copy of XP.
You will need a regular retail version of XP with its own product key.

#9 charlie j

charlie j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:27 AM

Louis,
I'm sure I can live with the bios settings after install, I'll get around it somehow, I'm just a little weak on RAID settings.
I used this disk to recover from a "NTLDR is missing" issue and it put me back onboard in a heartbeat, but it remains a pirate copy of windows.
Plan on installing the CD this weekend when I have some free time - once work stops pulling at me.
Thank you again for the help.
Charlie

#10 charlie j

charlie j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:45 AM

PolaBar,
Yes I have always believed that as well and have run into problems in the past attempting such tasks. I'll post here the sellers claims:

"MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL SP1a Pro COA FULL VERSION on CD

This auction is for Microsoft Windows XP Professional with SP1a (Service Pack 1a) Re-installation CD.

Included in this auction is the original UN-activated COA and is shipped with the Original Hardware that was purchased with it.

For security reasons we have covered the product key so it is not visible. Please see the picture for details!

This Windows Operating System can be installed on any PC computers. It does not require the product key to be entered if installing on a Dell computer PC. It includes the original COA / Product Key for activation.

This Operating System is ideal for anyone who wants to do a fresh install on an old or new machine that has no Windows on it."

Seems to be a good dealer, the oem cd with key was $58 and I thought I'd give it a try.

Thank you for the input
Truly appreciate it
Charlie

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:58 AM

<<...popup read setup cannot continue because the version of windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.>>

That normally/only pops up...when the user is not trying to do a clean install and is trying a repair install, with previous version of Windows intact. Windows will then warn user that the system files which user is attempting to install...are older. Windows doesn't like that and the result when/if such is continued...will probably be a system with O/S problems.

Louis

#12 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:46 PM

Included in this auction is the original UN-activated COA

Ok, you left that important bit out of your original post.

Google "Slipstream XP Sp3" and you will find many tutorials on how to piggyback the Sp3 service pack with the Sp1 installation.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

Louis

#14 charlie j

charlie j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:59 AM

I don't think a slipstream will work with the OEM xp from Dell

First Steps

Before we can start the process of creating Windows install disc, we first need to gather some software. Below is a list of software that you will need to download and install, as well as CDs that you should have on hand in order to continue.

1.An existing copy of Windows XP home, Professional, or Media Center. Unfortunately, for this step you can not use an OEM CD provided by your computer manufacturer (Dell, HP, etc).

2.Nero Burning Rom or nLite if you do not have NERO

3.ISOBUSTER

4.Network installation copy of Windows XP Service pack 3

5.A copy of your SATA drivers from your motherboard Web site if you have a SATA HDD that requires special drivers.

6.A blank writable CD or DVD and a CD/DVD burner.

Charlie

#15 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:18 AM

Well, you can either do a format and clean install removing the invalid copy, or partition the drive and set up a dual boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users