Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Vaio Laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Azuredrake

Azuredrake

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:45 PM

I am trying to reformat a Sony Vaio laptop I bought from a friend recently, but when I try to get my copy of Windows XP to boot from the CD, it refuses and goes into Windows Recovery Mode. Is there a more proper way of reformatting or is there something I'm missing.........I don't really know much about laptops....or reformatting......Or is a Sony Vaio just a pain to reformat?......I've tried disabling the hard drive to get it to boot from the CD, but it just sat there saying "operating system not found"....well duh......but then it gave me no options and I had to reboot. Any help would be appreciated.
Azuredrake

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:13 PM

I need more info what model is this laptop, and what year and month was it made in?,

also, is more than one hdd listed in "My Computer" ?

Edited by oldf@rt, 06 December 2005 - 10:13 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:21 AM

You are right it should just spin up and start the install process. You do know that if you install XP on two machines MicroSoft will turn both installs off the first time you sign on the internet/ It is part of thier antipiracy efforts. You will be prompted to call a 1-800 number to aquire a new code. Just thought you should know. Windows 2000 was the last windows that did not monitor the number of install assigned to a COA.
You could always go to http://www.bootdisk.com and download. It will allow you to partition and fromat your drive. I prefer Digital Dolly. It will load from the cd (if you can get the cd to boot) and need no OS to run.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users