Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant run chkdsk - slow computer

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 dsc123

dsc123

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:27 PM

I have been discussing this problem with Myrti in the malware forum and she has suggested that I try this forum instead as she is convinced that there is no malware. The problem is that I cannot defrag the disk. I set it to run as instructed but it never runs. Myrti says something is blocking it but not malware. This has been going on for some time in the following thread...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic352677.html/page__pid__2037820__st__54

Any help would be great. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:05 PM

Hi -
Try this method for your disk check - Copy and paste the following code into your Run Box -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
This will reboot your system in 30 seconds after you click OK - Make sure all programs are closed (including internet) and let the program run -
It will take a minimum of 30 mins and up to 45 mins and run a full 5 stage check/repair on your system -

Do you have at least 15% free space on your system so that you can defrag , if not it will not work - Please open Accessories > System Tools > Defrag and run the analyse section only (not the defrag) and see just how much free space you have and how Fragmented your system is -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 26 December 2010 - 07:06 PM.

#3 dsc123

dsc123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:33 PM

clened up andbacke up files so I had 15% free space as suggested; closed all applications and ran as you indicated. It just rebooted...took about 2 minutes.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

It just rebooted...took about 2 minutes

Hi -
If the check disk session was over in about 2 mins then it did not run - You do have serious problems - This is the first time this code has not worked for me -
Have you since attempted to defrag the system - My guess is that it will take many hours to run a defrag now -
Try to go back to Accessories > System tools > Defragmenter and click on Defrag - See if the progran stalls at 2 to 3% , or if it continues to run slowly -
Pause the program and post back in 1 or 2 hours with your progress -

Thank You -
EDIT -
RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots: 2Used memory slots: 1Free memory slots: 1

From your Speccy shot there indicates 1 free memory slot - Have you ever thought of adding another stick in the vacant slot ??
The extra RAM would clean up a lot of your "overloaded" problems - I will check for any stick available -

Edited by noknojon, 27 December 2010 - 10:27 PM.

#5 dsc123

dsc123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:24 AM

I cannot defrag; that was the original problem that Myrti was working on. It does not run...it now says that its schedle to run at the next reboot and it never runs. A while back it would say something to the effect that defrag cannot run now because resources it needs are being used by another program and that it is scheuled to run at the next reboot. I reboot and nothing happens. Myrti told me, to the best f my recollection, that this was normal as Widows is running and it wants complete control of the disk to defrag it.

I wish it was just running slowly but it never runs.

I never thought of adding memory (though I am willing to do so) as I have a second machine that is the same as this one and it has no problems -- it was infrected and Myrti solved that for me so now its perfect.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:22 AM

Current size of C:/Windows partition?

Free space on that partition?

What other partitions exist...how large are they...how much free space on each?

Louis

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:34 AM

Hamluis,

They have a Speccy snapshot posted here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:16 AM

Thanks, Dan...but that was almost 3 months ago. I'd like to know today's situation :).

Louis

#9 dsc123

dsc123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:45 AM

Guys, do you want me to run something? There are 2 partitions, one is 105Gig and 15% is free. The other partion was set up and is managed by the system the Lenovo installed software; I assume is it 55Gig as the total disk is 160Gig but I do not see this anywhere. The documentation for the machine indicates that this has a restore point for the orignal system installation. I don't know its size as it does not appear in "My Computer"

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:56 AM

Would you please do another Speccy snapshot so that we can see the current state of your hdd?

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 dsc123

dsc123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:14 AM

Here you go...

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LxaGnpxWoO315Ua4pDZdCXH

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:16 AM

Please update SPECCY, and rerun the application and post another link. Your drive is showing up as an unknown manufacturer.

#13 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:40 AM

Guys, do you want me to run something? There are 2 partitions, one is 105Gig and 15% is free. The other partion was set up and is managed by the system the Lenovo installed software; I assume is it 55Gig as the total disk is 160Gig but I do not see this anywhere. The documentation for the machine indicates that this has a restore point for the orignal system installation. I don't know its size as it does not appear in "My Computer"

Ok, according to your speccy, your hard drive is a FUJITSU MHW2120BH, which is 120GB, not 160.

Partitioned as follows:

Partition 0
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #0
Disk Letter: C:File System: NTFS
Volume Serial Number: 904B5B7C
Size: 106GB
Used Space: 87GB (83%)
Free Space: 18.9GB (17%)Partition 1

Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #1Size: 5.98 GB

That last partition is a hidden partition and is your recovery partition and will not show in "My Computer"

Have you tried to access the recovery partition with the PC manufacturers recovery process?

Try booting in "safe mode with command prompt" as an administrator and enter: defrag C: -a -v

#14 dsc123

dsc123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:23 AM

OK so it says:

Disk defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run , please run chkdsk /f

I did that and it says

This type of file system is NTFS
Cannot lock current drive.

CHKDSK cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts (Y/N)

This is what has happened before...

FYI, going into safe mode reminded me that I cannot run recover console even though it is installed. Myrti had suggested that this was something that could be dealt with after resolution of the disk defragmentation. Just FYI.

#15 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

Try a command prompt again and enter:
CHKntfs /X C:

This should cancel the chkdsk. Reboot and try defrag again.

Also check in your scheduled events and delete any entries related to chkdsk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users