Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with bonjour/iTunes

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 beache

beache

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:12 PM

This is driving me crazy! We already have other iPods and iTunes was already loaded on my PC.

But my daughter got a new iPod for Christmas. The instructions said to download the latest version of iTunes so I did. Probably a big mistake....

Her iPod was not recognized. Based on the Help section of iTunes, I uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled it. Partway through the reinstall I got this message:

"Bonjour Service failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."

I then spent 2 hours on the phone with Apple Support and they walked me through various steps and several uninstalls and reinstalls. Nothing worked.

So Apple Support decided that I must have a Microsoft problem. I have verified that I am the System Administrator. I even tried a System Restore thinking that I restore back to 12/24 and try using my old iTunes, but I got a message that System Restore could not help me.

I don't know what to try next!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:51 PM

Hi beache -
First please run disk check by using the code below - This will check your system for errors and attempt to repair any bad sectors - Copy and paste the code into the Run Box (or press Windows key + R and the box will appear) - Close all open programs, including internet and click OK - The computer will reboot in 30 seconds and run a full 5 stage check and repair (if there are faults to repair) - This may take from 30 to 45 mins depending on your system -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
Do not turn off the computer, just let it run until finished - Then retry to install iTunes based on the directions given by Apple support -
If you still have problems after this, please post back and we can try other thing later -

Thank You -

#3 beache

beache
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:14 PM

Ok, I did the disk check and although it found two problems and repaired them, I still have the Bonjour problem. I uninstalled all iTunes components again and once the disk check was done I downloaded the program again. I'm still getting that same message:

"Bonjour Service failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."

Thanks for your help.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:27 PM

Hi again -
This Item is the place to start to reinstall the program now - Expand the top item and it gives you details for XP systems, fully read it -
Again I can not be sure that Apple have not yet directed you to this repair/reinstall item as you only list Bonjour Service failed to start.
Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services." This usually means to be sure you are using the main account on the computer -
Please follow the link in blue and see if it is one that Apple have already given you -

Thank You -
EDIT - If you do not have CCleaner installed, please follow these directions to clear Temp Files also -
Download and install CCleaner slim
  • CCleaner slim
    Scroll down to the Slim versionright-click on the downloaded file "ccsetup_slim.exe" and choose "Run as administrator" and install the application.
  • Keep the default installation folder "C:\Program Files\CCleaner"
  • Click finish when done and close ALL PROGRAMS including your Web Browser
  • Start the CCleaner program.
  • Click on Registry and Uncheck Registry Integrity so that it does not run (basically the very top, uncheck it)
  • Click back to Cleaner and under SYSTEM uncheck the Memory Dumps and Windows Log Files
  • Click on Run Cleaner button on the bottom right side of the program.
  • Click OK to any prompts
    Note, this will remove cookies as well so if you do want to keep them then uncheck them before running it.

Edited by noknojon, 26 December 2010 - 06:37 PM.

#5 beache

beache
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:40 PM

The Apple tech person walked me through all of those steps, and she finally said that it has to be a Microsoft issue. We even added a new Administrator account and tried to download iTunes to that account. The download goes all the way to "Start Services" and then shows that error message. There are tons of things that come up when I search this error phrase on Google. And just as many solutions. It seems like it is not recognizing me as an Administrator.

Thanks

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:54 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#7 beache

beache
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:17 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/AINVDhcZNfPVBwqsDY5w0PF

Okay here are my specs. Just a reminder that I did have iTunes before today and the problems started when I downloaded the newest version.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:26 PM

I would try disabling your firewall and virus protection while installing the latest version of Apple iTunes. If that doesn't work then I would recommend using Revo Uninstaller to remove all versions of iTunes and Bonjour.

#9 beache

beache
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:01 PM

I used Revo --the only iTunes thing it found was Quicktime so I deleted all those files. I tried to install again with the Windows firewall turned off and my (Avast) virus protection turned off. Same message...........

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:37 PM

Hi -
The only thing I am down to now is installing Microsoft Visual Basics from Here to complete your system -
This is required for many M/soft interactive items - Quick Time and iTunes may fall under these areas -
We can only try a sfc /scannow command to check for missing files (it helps if you have a XP CD) -
As abve with the check disk command , but insert your XP CD if you have one , or can borrow one , as the files are still the same as yours -
Otherwise we will go on another direction - Do you have Any other problems at all with your computer at this time ??

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 26 December 2010 - 10:38 PM.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:47 PM

Follow the last bit advice here: Removing and Reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows XP and see if it works.

#12 beache

beache
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:08 AM

Thank you Madman, but those are the steps I have been following each time I try to reinstall--and Apple Support walked me through it several times too. It's not working.....

Noknjon, I'm confused about what Microsoft Visual Basics is/does. And am I supposed to do both that and the sfc/scannow?

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:20 PM

Thank you Madman, but those are the steps I have been following each time I try to reinstall--and Apple Support walked me through it several times too. It's not working.....

Noknjon, I'm confused about what Microsoft Visual Basics is/does. And am I supposed to do both that and the sfc/scannow?

Are you sure about that please make sure you not skipping this step:

Verify iTunes and related components are completely uninstalled

1. Restart your computer.
2. After the computer restarts, open Local Disk (C:) located in Computer or whichever hard disk your programs are installed on.
3. Open the Program Files folder.
4. Right-click the iTunes folder, choose Delete, and choose Yes when asked to confirm the deletion. Note: This folder may have already been deleted if iTunes was successfully removed.
5. Right-click the iPod folder, choose Delete, and choose Yes when asked to confirm the deletion. Click Continue if Windows needs confirmation or permission to continue.
6. Right-click the QuickTime folder (if it exists), choose Delete, and choose Yes when asked to confirm the deletion. Click Continue if Windows needs confirmation or permission to continue.
7. Right-click the Bonjour folder (if it exists), choose Delete, and choose Yes when asked to confirm the deletion. Click Continue if Windows needs confirmation or permission to continue.
8. Open the Common Files folder.
9. Right-click the Apple folder (if it exists), choose Delete, and choose Yes when asked to confirm the deletion. Click Continue if Windows needs confirmation or permission to continue.
10. Open Local Disk (C:) located in Computer or whichever hard disk your operating system is installed on.
11. Open the Windows folder.
12. Open the System32 folder.
13. Right-click the QuickTime file (if it exists), choose Delete, and choose Yes when asked to confirm the deletion. Click Continue if Windows needs confirmation or permission to continue.
14. Right-click the QuickTimeVR file (if it exists), choose Delete, and choose Yes when asked to confirm the deletion. Click Continue if Windows needs confirmation or permission to continue.
15. Right-click the Recycle Bin and choose Empty Recycle Bin

Remember those Bullets are links that you must follow if one doesn't work then try the next. The above is a manual verification.

#14 beache

beache
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

I just went through your list. There is no trace of iTunes, iPod, Quicktime, Bonjour, Apple, or QuicktimeVR and the recycle bin is empty.

I see that other posters now have this problem too. So frustrating!

#15 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:29 PM

Hi -
Sorry as it appears that I mis-wrote the instructions in a hurry - We are still checking M/soft faults (as Apple told you to do) -
1. Click on the Blue link I left above at post#10 and make sure Microsoft Visual Basics is installed - (Instructions are on the M/soft linked page)
2. Open Run Box and type, or copy and paste sfc /scannow into the box - Close all other open programs - If you have your XP CD (or if you can borrow one) place it in your computer First and then click on OK - This will run a System File Check for you - If the program halts just click continue -

Thank You
P.S.
Cryptodan is checking you have the iTunes and related programs all deleted, while I am trying to make sure your M/soft programs are all OK -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users