Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista 2010 Antivirus virus internet after effects

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 markfu18

markfu18

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:54 PM

Hello, my computer recently was infected with the Vista 2010 "Antivirus" virus, and thanks to this website, it has been removed. However, I think that my computer is still afflicted by it, let me explain.

After the virus was removed, I ran MBAM again, as well as Microsoft Security Essentials, and nothing was found on my computer. Good news.
However, I still was getting false proxy notices via Firefox (remedied by tools->options->advanced->settings->no proxy). But! IE cannot connect, my desktop gadgets (Weatherbug specifically) cannot access the internet, and other programs like Steam cannot display things in the store, etc. I still have access to the internet, and other programs like Steam still show my online friend list, and Ventrilo can still access and connect to servers. So I have internet, but I'm not sure what the problem is.

I believe that the virus tampered with settings, or is still lurking in my system (I've heard it tends to come back, I just made a new restore point a few minutes ago). Help with this false proxy situation would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays :)

Quick edit: I am running Vista Ultimate

Edited by markfu18, 26 December 2010 - 03:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:00 PM

Follow this Internet Explorer Proxy Settings and make sure there is no proxy set. Steam and other applications automatically use the Proxy Information set in IE to connect to the net.

#3 markfu18

markfu18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:14 PM

Worked like a charm, thank you very much for the help and the quick response!

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:55 PM

You are welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users