Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DDR2 VS DDR3

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NuckenFutz

NuckenFutz

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

Hi I saw on newegg I can get 4GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 memory for $52.99 but my motherboard does not support it and I was planning on upgrading my CPU and getting a 1TB HDD but since I saw that RAM....I want it..... But how much better is DDR3 than DDR2?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:27 PM

probably depends on what DDR vs ddr2, if were talking 1200 mhz DDR2 vs 1066 mhz DDR3, then the performance increase is minimal at best-unless your running DDR3 in triple channel mode. But if your running like 800 mhz DDR2 there is a substantial difference in speed alone, and the technology is better. You would just have to buy a new motherboard, thats all. On a side note, my system is still running modern games just fine using old school 800 mhz DDR2.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 NuckenFutz

NuckenFutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:04 PM

I have 2 1GB 800Mhz sticks and 2 512MB sticks running lower than 800. And its pretty crazy that DDR3 is running twice as fast as DDR2. I might just buy the RAM and save it until I get a DDR3 motherboard and then buy a new CPU. Then sell my current RAM, Motherboard, and CPU and buy a new motherboard then last get my 1TB HDD

#4 yorkred

yorkred

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:50 PM

ya you can sell that computer to someone who just wants to use the modern web, some people have old computers that can't even run windows 7

#5 NuckenFutz

NuckenFutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:29 PM

Ya but why would you want to run windows 7 in the first place? Its a horrible OS

#6 yorkred

yorkred

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:42 PM

Ya but why would you want to run windows 7 in the first place? Its a horrible OS

I use it and I like it. I'd like to hear the reasons why you think it is a "horrible OS"

anyway, my point wasn't really about Windows 7 but more about the modern web. use Linux or XP or whatever you want, people eventually need to upgrade to something that is at maximum 3 years old. you can't keep on using a 5-10 year old PC.

Edited by yorkred, 26 December 2010 - 06:49 PM.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:34 PM

new hardware is getting so cheap that your ddr2 stuff will have no great value when you go to sell it,

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 NuckenFutz

NuckenFutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:43 PM

Ok reason #1 You have to close explore.exe so games can run at full potential.
Reason #2 Makes stupid noises to entertain children and so what if you can turn it off it shouldn't be there in the first place.
Reason #3 Windows 7 is basically a slightly better version of vista I don't need a video to play while I am transferring just do it and don't waste my CPU.
Reason #4 Where the hell is anything? I can't find a single thing I want.
Reason #5 It is not very good for people to like to do some "fun" stuff like it hides advanced options that I know how to use.
Reason #6 It is for everyday idiots that don't know ANYTHING about a PC.
Reason #7 "Great! My computer froze *stupid sound effect constantly plays* FML!!!!!!!!"
Conclusion: When windows comes out with an advanced user friendly OS that cuts out all the stupid visuals and annoying sounds and makes it optimal for gaming, then ill update. Until then, ima stick to XP. So im going to give windows 7 a FAIL.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:19 PM

Point of interest here, if your running 800 mhz memory and 667 mhz ram, all the ram (even the 800 mhz) will run at 667 mhz, it will always default to the slowest ram. Windows 7, as far as windows goes, is a good OS and if your into gaming a must if you do anything with directx11. If you can afford it, I would recomend upgrading to the DDR3, it will offer more performance and last longer in todays modern age then DDR2.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:30 AM

Ok reason #1 You have to close explore.exe so games can run at full potential.
Reason #2 Makes stupid noises to entertain children and so what if you can turn it off it shouldn't be there in the first place.
Reason #3 Windows 7 is basically a slightly better version of vista I don't need a video to play while I am transferring just do it and don't waste my CPU.
Reason #4 Where the hell is anything? I can't find a single thing I want.
Reason #5 It is not very good for people to like to do some "fun" stuff like it hides advanced options that I know how to use.
Reason #6 It is for everyday idiots that don't know ANYTHING about a PC.
Reason #7 "Great! My computer froze *stupid sound effect constantly plays* FML!!!!!!!!"
Conclusion: When windows comes out with an advanced user friendly OS that cuts out all the stupid visuals and annoying sounds and makes it optimal for gaming, then ill update. Until then, ima stick to XP. So im going to give windows 7 a FAIL.

maybe you shoulds buy a playstation3!lol

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#11 NuckenFutz

NuckenFutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:40 PM

It probably would run better than windows 7 heh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users