Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly installed 500gig drive seen as 45gig

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GrantBC

GrantBC

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:49 PM

So I got a new 500gig Western Digital drive (WD5000AAKS) for Christmas. Installed just fine and windows sees the drive but it is showing up as only being 45gig. Device manager sees it as a WD5000AAKS. A few googles suggested that I try a format, which I did (not a quick format, was done through os) and went through without a problem but it still sees the drive as only being 45 gig. I can copy files to the drive just fine, no clicking or strange noises. Rebooted and checked the bios and the bios does see the drive as a 500 gig drive. This is my third drive on my computer. Here are my specs:

MB: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
HDD that isn't working: WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS
Other HDDs: WD Raptor 75gig WD740ADFD (Primary drive)
WD Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB

Any help with this issue is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yorkred

yorkred

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:54 PM

I am not sure if this feature is included in Windows 7 Home Premium as I am using Windows 7 Ultimate but you can try anyway.

click: start
type: disk management
click: create and format hark disk partitions

there's probably ~450 gig of unallocated space on that drive. just create a partition and format it or delete the original and create a full 500 gig partition, or do whatever you want to do.

also, you are probably safe to do quick formats on new hard drives because the full format is just format + chkdsk. if you want you can always run the chkdsk separately at a later time

Edited by yorkred, 26 December 2010 - 01:58 PM.

#3 GrantBC

GrantBC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:09 PM

There it is, created a new volume and now its working fine, thank you.

#4 yorkred

yorkred

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:51 PM

np, thanks for following up. a full thread helps other people with similar problems who are searching the forums.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users