Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zzssqq

zzssqq

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:22 PM

Six months ago I bought a new computer( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227241 ). It was running great until I got some sort of virus that corrupted a lot of my drivers resulting in a blue screen on every boot or within minutes of booting up.

After spending some time researching I came to the conclusion that I needed to reinstall windows 7; I got the disk and it went through installation. My computer restarted after installation was complete.

Following this, after showing the motherboard screen, the screen just goes black(not standby - its on but nothing is being displayed). I am able to access bios; my hard drive is being detected(at SATA3) but a Primary IDE Master and Primary IDE Slave is not.

Can anyone give me suggestions of what to do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yorkred

yorkred

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

Six months ago I bought a new computer( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227241 ). It was running great until I got some sort of virus that corrupted a lot of my drivers resulting in a blue screen on every boot or within minutes of booting up.

After spending some time researching I came to the conclusion that I needed to reinstall windows 7; I got the disk and it went through installation. My computer restarted after installation was complete.

Following this, after showing the motherboard screen, the screen just goes black(not standby - its on but nothing is being displayed). I am able to access bios; my hard drive is being detected(at SATA3) but a Primary IDE Master and Primary IDE Slave is not.

Can anyone give me suggestions of what to do next?

you are leaving out of a lot of information here so it's hard to diagnose the problem.

how many hard drives are in the system? which one had Windows installed on it?

if you give me quick replies I can stay with you a little while as I am working on a PC right now but I may have to leave.

Edited by yorkred, 26 December 2010 - 01:47 PM.

#3 zzssqq

zzssqq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:01 PM

There is only one hard drive and that one has windows 7 installed on it

#4 yorkred

yorkred

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:49 PM

There is only one hard drive and that one has windows 7 installed on it

sorry I didn't reply quick like I said I was going to.

what is on the IDE?

anyway, your SATA hard drive should be connected to the first SATA slot, could be SATA 0 or SATA 1

second, when you installed windows 7 did you do a fresh install?

Edited by yorkred, 26 December 2010 - 04:52 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:40 PM

FWIW: It doesn't matter what motherboard slot...SATA hard drives reflecting the boot files/Windows...are connected to. If set as boot drive in BIOS, it will be properly detected.

Failing/troubled drives...may not be detected and may impede the boot process.

I would disconnect all drives other than the boot drive...and focus on determining that it is working properly...before worrying about other drives.

Hard drive diagnostic, first step.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 31 December 2010 - 01:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users