Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Amd Processor Not Reliable Compared To Intel's Pentium 4

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CASTIGLIANO

CASTIGLIANO

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 08:39 PM

I want to build a CPU with AMD proc. but I cant figure out how to determine AMD clock speed because it is not provided in tech. specs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 08:54 PM

Dear Cast,

Intel and AMD are very close to dueling face to face at this point. I have two Intel's and one AMD computer now. The AMD is quicker in games but the Intel has faster point to point. It's all opinion. You can really tell in the low end systems though.

AMD has Intel by the balls at that point! It gets foggy when you go into high end stuff. Work with both and make a selection is my suggestion. :thumbsup:

Lets us know,

junkdk :flowers:
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:22 PM

Dear Cass,

Just look at this link from C-NET it tells us all we need to know right now about AMD VS Intel Dual Core processors. http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-9.html?tag=btn

on the other hand, P4s seem to excell at audio/video, and amd seems to work better with gaming and engineering apps.

Edited by oldf@rt, 06 December 2005 - 11:23 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:13 AM

While AMD does make excellent processors for gaming they go above and beyond that. Intel may be better at encoding audio & video, but, AMD seems to perform equally or better than intel in other tasks. My recommendation would be to go AMD. They're cheaper, run cooler, and perform better. If you want to know the clock speed just head over to newegg.com and look at the technical specs, it should be listed there. Keep in mind AMD isn't like Intel and they go for performance over clock speeds.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#5 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:36 AM

Video Encoding

According to this Intel no longer has the edge on video encoding.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:29 AM

I want to build a CPU with AMD proc. but I cant figure out how to determine AMD clock speed because it is not provided in tech. specs.

Hi CASTIGLIANO, looks like you got some prompt responses, unfortunately it doesn't look like anyone addressed your question regarding clock speed. Actually the spec do show the clock speed,the clock speed is the same thing as the CPU's operating frequency. Example: AMD Athlon 64 2800+ Newcastle 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor Model ADA2800AXBOX

64 bit Support: Yes
Cooling Device: Heatsink and Fan
Hyper-Transport Support: Yes
L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache: 512KB
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW! Professional
Operating Frequency: 1.8GHz
Process Type: 0.13 Ám
Series: Athlon 64
Voltage: 1.5V

The operating frequency here is 1.8Ghz, which means that the clock speed is 1.8GHz.

The FSB at 800MHz is another spec entirely, FSB is short for Front Side Bus. You can find more info by googling these topics, there is a great deal of good information out there, read on and get back to us with any questions you have. There's usually someone here with the knowledge and patience to help.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users