Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer spool

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 agilbert34

agilbert34

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:11 AM

I got a new printer and when I tried to install i recieved an error message about the printer spool not being turned on. I went through the steps to locate printer spool...my computer-manage-services and applications- but when i try to turn on printer spool i get an error message. I have gone to Microsoft to try to run a fix but that did not work either. I have read through other postings that tell you how to turn it on, but nothing that said what to do if it won't start.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:42 AM

Welcome to BleepingComputer agilbert34.

Not knowing what you have already tried I can only make suggestions.

Go to Start> Run, and type in services.msc, click on OK

Look in the column at the left for Print Spooler.
Right click on Print Spooler, then click on Properties.
Click the Startup type:, it should be set to Automatic.
Click on Start.
If Start is grayed out click on Stop and then click on Start.

Edited by dc3, 26 December 2010 - 10:55 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 agilbert34

agilbert34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:58 PM

I have done that... start is not grayed out but when i click to start I get an error message the box says "Could not start the print spooler on local computer Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified"

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:24 AM

If Start is grayed out click on Stop and then click on Start.

Did you try the last suggestion in my previous post?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 agilbert34

agilbert34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:10 PM

yes i did try the first suggestion and i can not stop it because the stop is grayed out. I have tried three ways to start and each way i get the same message as above. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:03 AM

There is one other way we can try to resolve this, but it involves editing the registry. If you aren't familiar with this process I should warn you that if mistakes are made in the process of editing the registry it could leave your computer inoperable. We can minimize this by backing up the registry before any changes are made.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERDNT.exe

Once this is done continue with the instructions below.

Go to Start> Run, type in regedit.exe then press OK.

When the page opens it will look similar to the image below.

Posted Image

Scroll down till you come to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. There will be a + in the box to the left of this, click on this to expand the tree. Continue to do the same with the following:

SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Services

The listing in services are in alphabetical order, scroll down till you find Spooler and click on it, you will not need to expand the tree for this. Once this is done you should see an image like the one below.

Posted Image

Under names scroll down till you find ImagePath , the Type should be Reg_Expand_SZ, the Data should be %SystemRoot%\system32\spoolsv.exe. If it isnít, double click on Image Path and change it accordingly. Scroll to Start and make sure that the Data is (2), if it isnít, double click on Start and change the value.

#7 agilbert34

agilbert34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:36 PM

I did everything you suggested in the step above including loading the ERUNT. When i went through the steps on registry editor all the info matched as you described above. The only difference is the "depend on service" line which says rpcss in the data column. Image path is listed as above and start as 2. What that my only other option?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:35 AM

This only applied to Image Path and Start, those appear to be as they should be.

Did you install the drivers for this printer?

#9 agilbert34

agilbert34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

when i try to install it says can not locate printer spool.

#10 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:32 PM

when i try to install it says can not locate printer spool.

I believe I may be of service on this, as I solved a similar problem.

Please follow these steps:

1. Search the internet by entering: restartprintspooler.msi.
You will get a list of sites dealing with same.

2. YOu can also download "autoruns" from the following link:
http://technet-microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.Aspx

Run it and let it scan the system. When it says "ready" in the status bar, click LOGON TAB.

Look for the item in the IMAGE PATH COLUMN, THEN CHECK OR uncheck THE ITEM.

OR, do it this way:

Solution #2:

1. IN Control Panel, go to and click on ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS.

2. Then click on the SERVICES icon and go down the list to Print spooler.
Make sure it says "started' in the column to the right. If not, click on Print Sppooler Serrvices and a screen will comp up which says : not started
Click on "start", and it should work. OR....

Solution #3:

1. Do the same as above to get to the SERVICES tab.\
Check the left hand column for "print spooler service", then click on that and click on
PROPERTIES.. now click on the GENERAL TAB---note the columns for "status" and "start up type". On these items, in the colums to the right, you can check either automatic, manual or enable. Enable everything!

Now, under General Tab, click on the Local system account, then type in:

"NT authority\local server."

Type any password for the server account and confirm, then click "okay".

At the bottom, check the Enable Button in the LOG ON TAb

Look at your list of Services and see which ones are not enabled and not started. Put them all on "automatic" and "enable".

If you highlight PRINT SPOOLER AND THE MESSAGE COMEs ON THAT YOU CAN'T START IT BECAUSE: "DEPENDENCY SERVICES OR GROUP FAILED TO START", check the DEPENDENCIES TAB AND SEE WHICH FILES IT LISTS AS A DEPENDENCY. WRITE THEM DOWN.

Then, go back to the list of SERVICES and make sure the above dependency files are "enabled".

(In my case, LexBCE Server and Remote Procedure Call RPC were NOT enabled. I chanced the settings to "enable". Then I closed everything, rebooted and the printer spool was now working.

Edited by 44guy, 29 December 2010 - 07:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users