Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly starts opening new windows

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Christinamn

Christinamn

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:35 AM

I have had a problem with my DELL Vostro 1000 laptop computer which is running Windows XP Service Pack 3. Every so often my computer will start randomly opening windows by itself and it wont stop unless I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, than I just close out of the windows task manger.

Would anyone happen to know why this happens, and how I can try to resolve this issue.

It can be very frustrating because it will happen when I am in the middle of playing a game, or watching a movie, and even sometimes just surfing the web. It is like I loose control of the keyboard, and keypad except for when I press the Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

Thank you

Tina

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:42 AM

Browser windows...or Windows file windows?

Louis

#3 Christinamn

Christinamn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

It happens to the browser which is Mozilla Firefox, and it happens to windows files as well.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

Hmmm...I've no knowledge of anything that would make non-browser windows open randomly...but I'd suspect that Windows is damaged

I would try running chkdsk /r and see if that improves the situation.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.

Type Y in new screen and hit Enter.

Reboot the system, let the command run...system boots into XP when command has fully executed.

Louis

#5 Christinamn

Christinamn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

When the system rebooted, it said that it was checking the disk, but than it said disk check was canceled and booted back up to windows. Is that what's suppose to happen? I would assume not, since it showed a blue screen for 30 secs which wouldn't be enough time to check the disk.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

I would try it again...first, reboot the system and see if it tries to run. If not, go through the command process again.

Louis

#7 Christinamn

Christinamn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

I did try doing it again and it didn't work. Same thing happening where it says it was canceled.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

Run the Dell Diagnostics on the systme, please.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users