Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Occasional Black screen on Dell Inspiron B130

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GammaPoint

GammaPoint

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:35 AM

Hi, I'm at my family's house for xmas and my mother-in-law's computer is acting up. She has a Dell Inspiron B130 running Windows XP and occasionally she will get a completely black screen sometime after XP is booted. Google searches come up with solutions such as the inverter or backlight being broken, but I don't know how to determine if that's definitely the case or not.

What I tried to do is boot up Windows within a Safe Boot. Doing this appears to avoid the problem. Does this mean that the inverter or backlight is not the issue, or does the Safe Boot simply use the hardware in a less stringent way and perhaps means nothing about the state of the inverter and backlight? Perhaps it's a software issue?

Anyone know of any tests or things I could do to try to narrow the issue down? Also, is it possible to use Safe Boot mode with a reasonable resolution, or is a crappy resolution the only way it can go within Safe Boot?

Thanks in advance for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Erik365

Erik365

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:27 PM

I have had the same issue a lot of times i end up closing the lid and waiting then opening it again that seems to help there also could be a short in the back light so see if moving the computer around helps at all

#3 GammaPoint

GammaPoint
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:36 PM

I have had the same issue a lot of times i end up closing the lid and waiting then opening it again that seems to help there also could be a short in the back light so see if moving the computer around helps at all

Thanks Erik. I'll get the computer to mess up again and then try moving it around to see if anything changes. I suppose if it does that would strongly signal a hardware as opposed to a software issue.

#4 Erik365

Erik365

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:59 PM

yep if not there is probably something in the bios thats a little messed up

#5 yorkred

yorkred

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

if it only happens after the OS boots my first guess would be driver, in which case you DL the most up to date chipset and video drivers and try that.

Edited by yorkred, 26 December 2010 - 06:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users