Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow response from laptop, need help with system recovery

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Angie001

Angie001

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:25 AM

Hi,
This is my first time posting to this forum. I have an emachines laptop, E725, purchased in March 2010. Last week, the computer started running very slowly, then would take a very long time to respond to a command. Sometimes now there is no response at all. I contacted emachines support, and they advised to do a system recovery and sent me to this page for instructions:

http://support.gateway.com/emachines/desktop/2009/gateway/dx/dx4300/DX4710faq6.shtml

Q: How do I reinstall the Operating System on the computer?

A: Select models have the ability to have the operating system reinstalled from a hidden drive built into the computer. To start the system recovery:

1. Restart the computer
2. When the eMachines logo appears on the screen, press the Alt and F10 keys repeatedly.
3. When prompted with a boot screen, hit the Enter key.
4. After the system recovery program has loaded, follow the prompts to reinstall the operating system.

If the ability to reinstall from the previous method is not available or fails during the recovery, recovery of the operating system will need to be from Recovery Media.

1. Insert the disk labeled System CD into the computer's disk drive and restart the computer.
2. When the eMachines logo appears on the screen, press the F12 key repeatedly.
3. Select either CDROM or DVD as the boot device, this may vary depending on the system.
4. When prompted for the Recovery CD, remove the System CD and insert the Recovery CD.

Note: If there are multiple Recovery CDs, please insert the first Recovery CD.

5. After the system recovery program has loaded follow the prompts to reinstall the operating system.

I'm worried about doing this because I do not have a disk label "System CD" as said in the instructions above. I have kept the laptop box, receipt and paper work that came with it, and there is no CD. Any advice on how I should proceed?

Thank you for any help!

Edited to add the Operating system is windows 7.

Edited by Angie001, 26 December 2010 - 12:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:44 PM

when you bought the laptop you should have bein prompted to create the disk you are now looking for .it may not be too late to make them if the laptop is still working ,look for backup and restore in the control panel.
soething like this
http://www.ehow.com/how_7488526_create-back-up-disks-laptop.html

Edited by caperjac, 26 December 2010 - 01:52 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 yorkred

yorkred

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:51 PM

first thing I would do with this laptop is test the memory and hard drive. the laptop should have built in hardware diagnostics. see if it gives you any hardware errors before proceeding. do all full/long tests.

#4 Erik365

Erik365

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:22 PM

Try Running a simple defrag and check to see if any processes are running such as helpsvc.exe or anything else that is using up alot of the cpu also installing a program such as ccleaner and running the cleaner and the registry cleaner can help a ton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users