Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE updates don't work - error #0x80072F2F8F

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sallyyy

Sallyyy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:17 AM

I'm using XP SP 3. For the past several months, IE updates don't work & I get error message #0x80072F2F8F:

"This error may occur if the date and time on your computer varies too much from the valid date and time of the SSL certificates used by the Windows Update site. This causes the scan process to fail. Please verify that your computers date and time are accurate."

The time in the Windows taskbar is the same as my cell phone so I tried synchronizing the time with an "internet time" option - time.nist.gov. It didn't help.

I've tried the 3 "resolutions" which the error message suggests:

#1. Register the following files
Click Start.
Choose Run.
In the Run box, type regsvr32 Softpub.dll.
Click OK.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll, Mssip32.dll.

#2. Check your date and time settings
Click Start.
Click Settings.
Click Control Panel.
Double-click the Date/Time icon.
Set the date and time to the correct values if necessary.

3. Unselect Check for Server Certificate Revocation

Start Internet Explorer.
On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
Click the Advance tab.
Browse down to the Security section.
unselect Check for server certificate revocation and click Ok
After this please reboot system.

The following anti-malware programs haven't found any problems: Nod32 AV, Outpost Firewall, Trojanhunter, & Spybot.

I've been getting updates from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/results.aspx?freetext=security+update&displaylang=en&stype=s_basic but I can miss updates that way & I don't always know when MS has released new updates.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Erik365

Erik365

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

Dont use IE thats all I have to say any other browser works better than IE. Google Chrome is the best followed by a tie between Apple Safari and Firefox and then there about a hundred stragglers that really aren't any good. But if you Are set on getting IE to work I would suggest installing another browser, uninstalling IE completely and going and getting the latest version that is not a beta from the windows website using the new browser and installing IE that way. Also turn on automatic updates through control panel and security center this will make sure you dont miss up dates once you get everything up and running you might even want to do that first.

#3 Sallyyy

Sallyyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:39 PM

Erik,

I never use IE for browsing. I only use it for updates to Microsoft programs.
Thanks anyway, since I didn't clarify that in my message.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:43 PM

Download Complete Internet Repair.
Unzip downloaded file and double click on CIntRep.exe to run the tool.
It'll look like this:

Posted Image

Checkmark following boxes:

• Repair Windows / Automatic Updates
  • Repair SSL / HTTPS / Cryptography

Click on Go! button.

Restart computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Erik365

Erik365

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:11 PM

sally that is why i included how to do automatic updates and also you do not have to use IE to update windows programs

#6 Sallyyy

Sallyyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:07 AM

Broni,

Thanks very much for your suggestion. I ran the program twice, rebooting each time afterward but it didn't help.
It got me thinking though about the security certificates. I get frequent error messages in Firefox that the certificates for certain sites are invalid, even though after looking at the certificates, they appear to be valid. (This doesn't happen in IE since I only use it for updates.) Do IE & Firefox use the same file to determine which certificates are valid?

In any case, I checked Control Panel| Add or Remove Programs but I didn't see an update for root certificates either with the updates for XP or IE. If it were installed correctly, shouldn't it appear here?

I then went to MS' update site & downloaded the latest update for Root Certificates, KB931125, but after running it (a few times), nothing seem to happen. When I then checked the Control Panel| Add or Remove Programs after rebooting again, I saw that it still hadn't been installed. What do you think could be preventing its installation & what would you suggest that I try now?

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:04 PM

Please, check couple of things for me...

1. Can you access Windows updates site at all? http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

2. If not, see if you can do it in Safe Mode with Networking?

3. Can you download standalone updates and then install them?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 Sallyyy

Sallyyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

1. Yes, I can access the site. I get the error message after I press "Express" & wait a bit.

2. I haven't tried this since #1 can access the site.

3. I now download all my updates from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/results.aspx?freetext=security+update&displaylang=en&stype=s_basic. I've been able to install all of them so far up till the Root Certificates which I tried to install yesterday unsuccessfully.

By the way, to make this even more confusing, while typing this, an invalid certificate message popped up which seems to involve the program "Adblock Plus". But that's an add-on to Firefox, so maybe it also can't find the certificates which I couldn't install either manually or with IE's auto-updates. I tried to attach it but after pressing "preview", it doesn't look like that'll work.

Thanks a lot for trying to troubleshoot this.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:43 PM

At least, some progress :)

What IE version do you use?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 Sallyyy

Sallyyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:12 AM

I have version 8.0.6001.18702. I think I should clarify that the items I mentioned below are (unfortunately) no different than they've been all along. But, something new which I assume confirms that these pop-up certificate errors are false positives is that I got one a little while ago when I was at Google.com. It said "could not verify this certificate for unknown reasons".

So, I went into IE| Tools| Internet Options| & found a tab for "Certificates" under Content. Under "untrusted publisher", I found 2 entries for Microsoft which expired in 2001 & 2002. I deleted those. In some of other tabs, I found lots of expired certificates too so I deleted those. But that hasn't made a difference. BTW, in your Add/Remove Programs, do you see the Certificates Update listed anywhere? I looked under XP, IE, & other Microsoft programs but didn't see it listed anywhere.

Something else which may be a clue of some kind is that while Microsoft's critical updates aren't being downloaded & installed automatically, the "hotfixes" have been. Do you know if they don't have anything to do with certificates or accurate dates, in contrast to the critical updates?

#11 Sallyyy

Sallyyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:04 AM

Believe it or not, the problem is solved. I ran Belarc Advisor & saw that I was missing an IE update. So, I downloaded & installed it. After a reboot, I tried downloading critical updates again. This time after pressing "Express", additional updates appeared, instead of the error message. So, it looks like this update solved the problem somehow. Thanks a lot for your suggestions & attempts to help out.

Edited by Sallyyy, 30 December 2010 - 03:05 AM.

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:43 AM

Ha....nice job! :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users