Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

InnoSetup Vs. Windows Installer, VS 2010 creation and other tools

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:22 PM

Hi folken,
I was just curious about something. I am very interested in learning to program in C# and I hope to touch on a few portions of the .net framework. But I'd like to hear some opinions of different install methods for Windows. I like the prospect of the Windows installer with WiX and all that, or maybe MakeMSI by Dennis bareis, but I've also heard great things about Inno Setup, and have even made an attempt at repackaging a game that only had a Chinese installer with it. But that was because that was the only thing I knew at the time. Which do you like the best? Is WiX relatively easy if you use the WiX edit tool or the click through thingo that gets installed? I've also heard that Visual studio project installers are horrible looking, in that the UI looks like it was written by a lazy developer. How often does that matter? If folks could tell me what their opinions are, I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks,
Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:21 PM

What was the outcome of this?

I was using Inno Setup but I recently had a program that required other files be packaged with it which only seemed to work properly with the built in installer for VS2010. You are right, it does look hideous, but hey, it installs my program right.

If there is any other way of installing though I would be interested!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:25 PM

Interesting. Another thingo though, do you think I should go for paid installer tools if I'm going for Windows installer? I've decided on that since I'm just sophisticated by nature.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:21 PM

Personally, I find Inno Setup to be exactly what I need (and it's more powerful and customizable than most people realize.) Take a look at ISTool, which is sort of an IDE for Inno script.

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

Then I don't know why MSI still seems so compelling to me. Maybe it's because you can do more things with it, like for instance, can innoSetup configure SQl Server databases during installation, go out to the web and download needed components, ETC? I know that MSI can do all of those things. And also, whenever I'm removing a program from my system that's been packaged with Inno, i end up having to manually go back and remove the remnants of the uninstalled program. With microsoft technologies, I don't have that problem.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

I can't say I've shared your experiences with regard to the uninstaller, Inno has always cleaned up very well for me. I don't think Inno has any SQL Server specific features, though you can always extend it with custom Pascal code or have a configurator in the InstallRun section. I know you can add things ot download, at least if you use ISTool.

I guess it comes down to what you prefer. I'm sure MSI has a lot of nifty features. At the same time, MSI installers are as slow as cold molasses running uphill against the wind.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

... in January.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts