Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another slow computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alder128

alder128

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:02 PM

My computer has been running slowly for a long time now. It is an older Dell Dimension with 768 MB of RAM and has a Celeron 2+ GHz processor. It is basically just used for web browsing and email. Sometimes Skype, viewing pictures, and word processing. It is very annoying as the most basic things are incredibly slow - right-clicking, opening the start menu, opening menus in general, starting applications, web browsing, etc. The internet connection tests fine. I have a laptop on a wireless network and have no problems with webpages loading slowly with it.

I've tried to do everything I know of. I've defragged the hard disk, run antivirus and antispyware scans using Avast, Malwarebytes, and Spybot S&D, deleted junk files, removed unnecessary programs from startup, checked the hard disk for errors, etc. Some of these tasks have been done through a program I downloaded called Advanced System Care. I know my RAM is on the low side but the amount of free RAM generally ranges from 200 to 400 MB and I just checked the actual use of the swapfile today with a little app from dougknox.com called "XP Page File Monitoring Utility" and it came up as only 366 MB (out of about 1400 MB of possible allocation). Please help! I am also using Comodo firewall.

BTW, is it really necessary to use safe mode when running antispyware and antivirus scans? If so, how come?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:48 PM

In most cases, no.
Only some antispyware tools, like Superantispyware, are designed to run in Safe Mode.
Also, if there is some problem with running AV program in normal mode, you can start with running it in safe mode, but generally, it should be run in normal mode.

There are some more sophisticated malware removal tools, which can be run in safe mode, but I don't think, this is a subject of your question.

Regarding your main question....slow computer...
Are you complaining about a browser being slow, or a a computer as a whole?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 alder128

alder128
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:43 AM

The computer as a whole.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:09 PM

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 alder128

alder128
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:34 PM

Actually, I should've answered "both" to your question. By "as a whole" I meant to include the browser being slow along with the computer in general.

Anyway, the txt file is attached.

Thanks for your help

Attached Files

Edited by alder128, 27 December 2010 - 10:34 PM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:36 PM

COMODO Internet Security - are you running firewall part only?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 alder128

alder128
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:56 AM

Yes - only the Comodo firewall is running, not the antivirus part.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:50 PM

I downloaded called Advanced System Care

Programs like that should be avoided, because they partially deal with registry, which is not recommended.

XP should run decently with 768MB of RAM.

Let's see something...

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users