Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken Motherboard Connector

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 genericuser1

genericuser1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:11 PM

Hello fellow members,

I dismantled my ASUS W3000 laptop and removed the screen, but one of the connectors for the screen broke when I pulled on it.
Strangely, i'm left with 3 exposed wires that's supposed to go in a socket with 4 pins.

I took a blind guess and connected the black, blue, and red wires from left to right. The pin on the far right is not connected to any wire.
I'm pretty good with computer hardware in general but i'm not familiar with the wiring conventions...
Extra information: There's a little arrow decal pointing to the pin on the far left, and there's a marker imprint on the second pin from the right.

I would appreciate any help,
Thank you.

Attached File  DSC00232.JPG   234.04KB   9 downloads

Edited by genericuser1, 25 December 2010 - 07:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:23 PM

Hello and welcome to bleepingcomputer.

I'll link you to a service manual that may be helpful to you momentarily.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

I seem to be having a bit of a problem finding a manual.

I see where you have an Asus W3000 series laptop, I have an image but I can not seem to match this image with yours, that is unless your model number is incorrect or your showing a different side of the motherboard.

I am posting an image, you can copy this image if you wish to to add a circle to it as you did with your image above, which happens to be a bit out of focus and hard to see any detail.

Here is the image.

Click it and it will automatically blow up to full size. :thumbup2:

Attached File  Asus.jpg   103.01KB   7 downloads

I'll watch for your reply.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 25 December 2010 - 09:46 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 genericuser1

genericuser1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:39 PM

The connector i circled connects to the lcd screen.
Thanks for replying. :lol:

Attached Files

Edited by genericuser1, 25 December 2010 - 09:40 PM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I am going to go to one of technical web sites to which I have a private subscription at and see if I can get a pin-out on this connector.

Please be patient while I do this. :)

Bruce.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:44 PM

This has indeed been a tough one for me to locate.

I am hoping I have finally found something useful. This is for the Asus W3000A Laptop.

I studied the images on this web site for a while, but being I have only images at different angles to look at it, it is hard to make out accurately if this W3000A has the same motherboard.

If you check this disassembly out, you may be able to identify the wires here and find a wiring solution.

Here is the link. http://tim.id.au/laptops/asus/w3000a.pdf

Please let me know if this has been any help to you.

There are service manuals available for your laptop. However, they are not available for free.
Some agents will not sell service manuals to the general public and those who do try to purchase them have to have a service technician license.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 25 December 2010 - 11:48 PM.

#7 genericuser1

genericuser1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:06 AM

The manual tells me its called a switch cable (page 8 step 3), but i still don't know the order of the wires.
I just looked at my floppy power cable and it's red, black, brown, yellow from left to right.
Is it safe to wire it like that and test it out?

Edit: Ok i get it. The switch cable is what connects the power button to the motherboard, so if it's wired incorrectly the worst that could happen is that it doesn't turn on.

Thanks for your help Bruce i'm going to test it out. :lol:

Edit: Success! I randomly poked at the jumpers with tweezers and got it to turn on. Now i just have to figure out which wire goes where...

Edited by genericuser1, 26 December 2010 - 01:17 PM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

Well I seriously wouldn't guess on where each wire goes, as this can cause permanent damage to your laptop.

I believe you said the wires were Red, Blue and black.

Is there a shield (bare) wire? This wire is usually rapped around another wire or the entire group of wires.

Black is usually (but NOT always) designated as a ground wire, which goes to either chassis ground or the (-) negative side if the supply current.

If this is a switch, one wire would supply a current to the switch, while the other is the return wire from the switch.

Here is where a VOM multi-meter would come in handy.

The meter should be set to either continuity testing or set to the Ohms (resistance) setting.

In these settings, current from the meter's internal battery, flows through one test probe, and into the other test probe, which creates a working circuit, the result, sends a current to the meter's read out.

Depending on if it is a digital LCD read out or an Analog needle type meter, the meter, will read full scale when the current flows 100% through the meter's circuitry.

First thing to do is determine with the meter what the status of each wire coming from the switch is, with the switch open then closed.

Two of the wires should allow a current to flow through the meter when the switch is on the closed position, of course in the case of your laptop, if this is a switch, when the laptop lid is raised for viewing of the screen, the switch should be in a closed circuit condition, a closed circuit means current flows through the switch.

Find out which two wires are allowing this on-off action to happen.

If the red and blue wires are the two wires which are exhibiting this action, we now need to determine what role the black wire is using.

Now I see where you mentioned copying the floppy disk's wire pattern, where you are talking about a whole different set of wire color codes here, which is red, black, brown and yellow.
You also mentioned 3 wires originally, which are red, blue and black.

Lets not get confused here, although the only wire I can see being a comparison here is possibly the BLACK wire.

Those wires are POWER wires which supply power to your floppy drive.

A switch usually only has one side of a circuit on it, either positive or negative (depends on the manufacturer's preference). The switch makes or breaks a circuit, in this case, it would be using one side of the current flow either positive or negative from the power supply, but NOT both.

So we can not use the floppy diskette drive power wires as a comparison here.

Now once you have determined the switches functions, along with which wires are used to send a signal to the switch and which wire sends the return current flow, we have to determine the status of the connector pins on the motherboard.

We can easily find the chassis ground pin, by again having the meter in the Ohms meter range or continuity range.

Placing one probe on a well known circuit trace which is chassis ground and pining out each pin on the motherboard connector, you should find one or two pins which has a 100% full scale reading (also called infinity).

You have now found the motherboard's ground pins or pin and can now label this pin/s as chassis ground.

One of the 4 motherboard pins is the supply pin, without power supplied to the motherboard, this would be hard to determine of course, but if you could power up the device safely, you could put the meter into the DC volts reading, place the BLACK (negative) probe onto chassis ground, then pin out the remaining 3 or 2 pins to find the (+) Positive pin.
This pin (if Positive IS USED through the switch) is the supply pin, it is supplying current to pass through the switch when it is closed.

The last remaining pin, would be the return pin, this is the one where the current flow through the switch is returned to the motherboard and the circuit is completed when the laptop lid is opened fully for screen viewing.

Since I see where you said you have some computer repair knowledge, this theory should be easy for you to follow pretty easily.

Please keep me updated and good luck.

Bruce.

Edit added a few left out words for better clairity. :whistle:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 December 2010 - 01:17 PM.

#9 yorkred

yorkred

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:37 PM

Hello and welcome to bleepingcomputer.

I'll link you to a service manual that may be helpful to you momentarily.

Bruce.

yes all laptops usually have a service manual online that show you how to take it apart properly. you should never just start ripping stuff apart it never goes well.

#10 genericuser1

genericuser1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:12 PM

:thumbsup: I got it working
It was the red and brown wire that closes the circuit. The black one powers an led light.
Thanks for your help Bruce, happy holidays. :lol:

Edited by genericuser1, 26 December 2010 - 02:15 PM.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:02 PM

:thumbsup: I got it working
It was the red and brown wire that closes the circuit. The black one powers an led light.
Thanks for your help Bruce, happy holidays. :lol:

Well this is GREAT news and I want to thank you for posting back and letting us know what wires you connected to get it working. :clapping:

Happy holidays to you and yours! :)

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users