Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I Remove Scanregw If I Find It In C:\windows

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Miki

Miki

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:11 PM

I have been getting mixed messages about wether I should remove scanregw...
The start up is slow so I checked what was running found scanregw then did a search for it and found it in windows...
Some say this is an important windows file, others say it is a worm... Neither my mcafee nor my spybot picked it up but my spybot says that spybot has been changed since it was installed and to check for malware and viruses because it never changes itself...
Do I delete the scanregw file in windows.. and is there a way to reverse the possible changes in spybot...

Thank you for your time

Miki

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:56 PM

No. Do not delete this file. Here is a link about the file.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:26 AM

Maybe scanregw is slow because it is dealing with corruptions in the registry?
Do some basic maintenance:
(These instructions apply to Windows 95/98/98SE, other versions may not have the functions described)
  • Clean your internet cache and temporary files:
    Control Panel>Internet Settings. Tick the boxes under 'Temporary internet Files' for 'Delete Cookies' and 'Delete Files' and tick 'Delete all offline content' if asked.
    Empty the Recycle Bin.
  • Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode
    How to find scandisk - double-click 'My Computer', right-click the C: drive then click 'Properties'.Under the 'Tools' tab click on Error Checker

• When that's finished do a defrag.
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

• Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Double-click 'My Computer',right-click on your C: drive and select 'Properties'.

• Reboot and see if there's any improvement.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users