Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Unplug Power To Floppy?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 leenagrace

leenagrace

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:46 PM

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I found you by googling for NTFS vs FAT32 because I have been having "issues" this week and thought I should learn more about that. So I found the wonderful tutorial and joined and read a bit more since then.

My question: is there a trick to unseating the power connection from the internal floppy drive? A lever to push to release it or something? Is there a photo or diagram somewhere to show me how to release it? I can't seem to get it unstuck ... :thumbsup:

Mine is labeled P7 and is a small 1/2" approx white 4 wire connector that comes from the boot drive to the floppy. I need to disconnect it as the computer is hanging on startup, looking forever at the floppy which is higher in the boot order than the boot HD. I just need to test to see if the boot drive will work again.

Not required reading but for those interested, more of the background:
I have a 4 yr old pc that came with a 5400rpm 80GB drive, floppy, CD-RW and DVD-ROM. Over a year ago, I removed the DVD-ROM and installed a dock drive so I could do 1 or 2 big back up drives per year (I am a digital photographer with MANY external drives I've built so this was a way to get something off the desk and be more efficient in backing up). Several days ago on booting, I got the dreaded major clicking. Mind you I've never had a drive failure but after 20 years with computers, it was bound to come. Not doing a thorough job looking at the indicator lights, I thought the boot drive was failing as the machine was hung at the XP waving window screen during log in. So stupidly, I removed the boot drive figuring I'd just have to start over and reload everything, replaced it with a new 160GB drive, discovered there was a second empty internal bay (yeah!) so I put another 160GB drive in there and powered up. Still the clicking. Then I realize DUH, it was the docking drive that was clicking! I should have realized from the BIOS screen that recognized the 2 new 160GB drives but told me the docking drive had only 8.25GB (it was also a 160GB drive).

So I took out the bad docking drive (only a backup, I can test it later and figure out what to do about it if problem is drive or the actual bay), replaced the boot drive with the the original drive containing my OS, programs, etc. which I'd carefully packed away in the static bag and powered up. YEAH! It booted and I could see both drive in BIOS. But I couldn't see the new second drive in Win Explorer and then on a conversation with someone about all this, it was suggested that I double check the jumper settings. Per the manufacturer and the new drive maker, both were preset at Cable Select and should remain that way. But to be safe, I pulled them out to double check, they were fine. Also a chance to reseat all the connections to make doubly sure all was correct. Sadly, when I powered back up, now it is hanging with lights on for both the boot drive and the floppy drive and it is stuck on the entree to BIOS screen (one where you can choose f10 or f12 for settings/network boot). The keyboard is not accepting f10 and so it hangs there.

Bottom line: I am thinking I need to disconnect that floppy and see if it will boot without ever looking at the floppy. But I have never dealt with that kind of connector and when I try to remove it, it is very resistant. I can see by the extra floppy power cord hanging in the box that there is a little nub to catch in the middle of the clip but I have no idea how to release this catch and I don't want to pull to hard and damage something.

If anyone can direct me on how to properly unseat that floppy power cord, that would be great. Otherwise, I guess I am on my way to DataDoctors this afternoon :flowers: Not where I wanted to go....hard to believe I find myself here when it wasn't the boot drive at all...

Oh BTW, I did learn that the system might not accept a 7200rpm drive as it is set for 5400rpm. But the tech at HP/Compaq could not explain what it would do if it did not work only to say it would not harm anything to try it. Ei, yi, yi!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 08:27 PM

Dear Leen,

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

The power cord should just pull out unless corrosion has happened. If you think corrosion is the problem some WD-40 lightly should work to loosen the plug. After that clean with some rubbing alcohol or Isoprobel alcohol.

Some of the very old floopy's had a upper locking device on the power plug but that is real old! Anyway, take a very small flathead or jewelers screwdriver to pry the upper locking plastic piece gently up. This should allow the power plug to release.

Some of the newer power supplies come with locking power plugs but it is easy to unplug them. As with the 160GB drives not reading right that will be easy or sort of. I am going to copy a section of my Western Digital manual that might help you.

I will email you the copy,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 leenagrace

leenagrace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 08:40 PM

Hi junkdk and thanks so much. Just got back from the computer repair and apparently, my computer just wanted to go for a ride in the car. It booted perfectly, the tech set up and formatted the new drive I added so it shows now, no hanging on boot even with 3 tries there.

After I posted here, I was able to finally remove that power plug on the floppy before I went (DH came home and helped me - evidently you have to sort of lift and pull, not just pull out straight). But even after cutting power to the floppy, it still hung on the bios option screen on booting so I threw it in the car and went off to the repair. Can't believe it but at least hopefully it will now run and the guy was a peach, no charge. Feel like maybe got a little early xmas present, or hope so anyway...

I'll review the WD stuff you sent later, have to go do groceries and dinner now.... work is never done :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users