Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows not genuine

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Lihle

Lihle

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:04 AM

Guys my computer tells me my windows 7 is not genuine, first i had windows home basic and then a guy came and changed it to windows 7 ultimate and then now it says that it is not genuine. Without going to buy one how can I make genuine?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:35 AM

You may need to call Microsoft to authenticate the installation.

Did the tech leave the product code for this installation?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Lihle

Lihle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

No, he didn't leave anything behind.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:13 PM

The first thing to do will be to call Microsoft and explain your situation to them. Unfortunately they don't have any means of recognizing your upgrade through their normal means, so you will have to call them to authenticate the installation.

Download System Information for Windows and run it. When it opens you will see a column in the narrow pane to the left. Scroll down under Software to Licenses and click on it. Information should show in the larger pane to the right, among this information there should be a listing for Windows Key, there may be two because of the upgrade. These are what you will need when you call Microsoft.

Edit:

Please be aware:
Many free downloaded programs now come bundled with unwanted or unneeded third party software. For this reason it is importanat that when you open a program and begin the installation you need to read and understand what you are being offered. Often there now will be a third party software which while already have a check mark in the acceptance box that if left that way will install the third party software.

Edited by dc3, 25 December 2010 - 01:14 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Lihle

Lihle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:19 PM

I hear you dc3 but I just wanted to make it genuine without contacting them, maybe you know a program that can do the job. I heard that there is one but I just forgot the name.

Edited by Lihle, 25 December 2010 - 01:24 PM.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:36 PM

Making it genuine using a program is illiegal. Your gonna have to call Microsoft up.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:43 AM

Forum rules state...

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

#8 Lihle

Lihle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:47 AM

OK, I haven't read that gentlemen I'm sorry.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:00 AM

Did you purchase this upgrade to W7?

Is this a legal installation?

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

This is the link to Microsofts product activation web site.

Linked here, are several solutions you can try.

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/cu_sc_prodact_master?ws=support#tab0

This is the second section, WINDOWS activation. It is grouped by the windows version you have, Windows 7 is the first on the list.

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/cu_sc_prodact_master?ws=support#tab1

EDIT: Adding another link here

How to tell if your Windows is Genuine

http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/

How-ever you do it, make sure its LEGAL, accepting anything else, invites viruses and damaging malware infections...totally NOT worth the risks in my personal opinion.

If you bought a pirated piece of windows software that was advertised as GENUINE, do the rest of us a favor and report the person who sold it to you.

Here is the link to file a Piracy report.

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting/default.aspx

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 December 2010 - 06:57 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:50 PM

Here is a quick way: Find the activation key, Google it and see if it is loose on the net. Someone close to me (cough, cough) got taken on a fake WIN7 Ultimate deal. It's annoying, especially if you actually paid for it in the first place.

Most of these are MSDN keys that eventually get blacklisted.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#12 Lihle

Lihle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:21 PM

I bought the computer fully installed but not with windows ultimate but with home basic. Then a guy came and changed it I don't know how?

#13 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:17 PM

Then a guy came and changed it

I suggest you contact "this guy" and have him fix it. If he can't prove to you that it was a legitimate upgrade, get a refund.

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:32 PM

Please check something.

Open up My Computer from your desktop.

Under Hard Disk Drives, you will see Local Disk C. Is there another drive listed under Hard Disk Drives?

#15 wds7

wds7

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:49 PM

Making it genuine using a program is illiegal. Your gonna have to call Microsoft up.

No ....You don't have to call M$ ...

Do a system recovery back to Wds7 basic ...

Only call them if you want to buy a new license ...which Wds7 Ultimate .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users