Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black start up screen with mouse - Happened after a windows restore failure

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Elusival

Elusival

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:17 AM

On the desktop a restore function was being searched for, it said there weren't any saved dates (Something along those lines) but on a reboot found an option to restore anyway so did that and it has now resulted in the computer loading up with just a black screen with the mouse movable.

I don't even know what buttons to press to get up a setup screen and maybe repair using the windows disk. Any advise?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:34 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 Elusival

Elusival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:54 AM

We made it in a custom way. But don't remember to much about it. It says intel when loading on the first screen.

#4 Elusival

Elusival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:11 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/b4WsovsUYIvOdsmEqAhmCLk

Here is a speccy thing of my computer stats. I still really need help.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:16 AM

Sooo...your system boots after this black screen appears?

Does it boot in safe mode?

Have you tried the Last Known Good option?

Louis

#6 Elusival

Elusival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:11 PM

No it boots up with the start things, like INTEL then because it was turned off wrong comes to a screen boot in safe mode, safe mode in command prompt etc and choose an option in 30 seconds. Now the keyboard power never ever seems to work at this stage, never did. So the 30 seconds pass and it tries to boot up normally.

It will then do the Loading vista sign, which is this [ ] Full of green bars going across. It then comes to the black screen with only the mouse movable. Usuaully at this point I'd type in my password and login to the deskptop.

Do you know any options like F8 or F10 that work with Vista on the start up screen (Remember I can't get onto my deskptop). I've tried pressing all at once but none seem to work. Only 'DEL' or 'TAB' does something. But DEL brings up power options and.. I forgot what TAB does but it's not useful at all.

#7 Elusival

Elusival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:10 AM

Ok so I've read F8 is supposed to work with windows but the keyboard power doesn't seem to allow me to press it. I can press 'DEL' to get up some options but they are about power. I've tried using another keyboard but I get the same result so it's the computers fault. I really dont know what to do and this should be a simple fix.

Please help!

Edit: Literally no buttons are working, F1 - F12, ESC. Nothing else brings up a BIOS. Except DEL which brings up stuff relating to power management, blue screen I believe.

Edited by Elusival, 27 December 2010 - 06:21 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:59 PM

I'm not familiar with Vista, never installed it...but if you get a black screen with the cursor in the upper left corner...that's usually an MBR problem in XP, which is overcome by running the fixmbr command from the Recovery Console.

I suggest that you take a look at any number of the following: http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=black+screen%2C+with+cursor%2C+Vista&aq=f&aqi=g2g-v3&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=7b989c6c17f79c85 and determine if any of those situations parallel yours.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users