Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG database false positive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,467 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 25 December 2010 - 03:14 AM

AVG stops MBAM from running.

AVG We are also aware that this incident has negatively affected our rating on CNET Download.com and other portals. We would appreciate if a few of our users would set the record straight.

An AVG database update this morning (December 24, 2010) incorrectly detects two DLL files (mbamcore.dll and mbamnet.dll) in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 as trojans.

If you use AVG antivirus and get these detections, ignore them. Update your AVG definitions; hopefully it will be fixed soon.
If you have already quarantined the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware files using AVG (sent them to the Virus Vault), you can fix this as follows:

1. Set Exclusions within AVG

Exclude the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware program files directory (usually C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, or C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on x64 operating systems) from AVG.

Precise instructions for how to do this for several versions of AVG may be found here.

2. Restore the Malwarebytes DLLs from the AVG Virus Vault

Step 1: Start AVG
Step 2: Click History -> Virus Vault
Step 3: Select mbamnet.dll and click Restore. Then do the same for mbamcore.dll.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware should now function as normal.

edit added mbam info
MBAM Forum thread

Edited by Martel, 25 December 2010 - 05:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:51 AM

With the release of AVG 2011, there have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Read the related discussions at AVG:There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have also been reported problems with computers after using new features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings.

I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers as they are extremely powerful applications that can damage the Windows registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from booting properly. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Even MajorGeeks, a popular download hosting site has issued a Statement on AVG Free 2011 and recommends using other free alternatives.

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:11 PM

Plus 1000, Quietman7! AVG should fall down and possibly fall off the edge of existence in my opinion. Let Eset and their crew rule from now until eternity. LOL!

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users