Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious Problems - Can't Even Get To Desktop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jocelyn_

Jocelyn_

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 03:47 PM

One of my younger brothers asked me to help him with the family computer recently (a Gateway running Windows XP). He told me that he was in the process of downloading some emoticons (he says he thinks they were from msn.com) when the computer froze. When this happened, he turned the computer off and turned it back on, but it wouldn't run properly. I took a look at it, and this is what I found:

When I turn it on, it takes longer than usual to get to the "User Accounts" screen. When it finally gets there, I'm unable to select any of the accounts, and therefore unable to enter any passwords. I have double checked, and I know the mouse and keyboard are functioning correctly. It doesn't even work when I click on the "Turn Off Computer" icon. I have tried starting in Safe Mode, but that doesn't work, either. It gets all the way to the fancy blue "Windows is Starting Up" screen, but does nothing from there. It's not frozen, because I can move the mouse pointer around, but it definitely won't move on from that screen. I have also tried starting from other modes, such as Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration, Debugging Mode, etc., but the same thing happens everytime. I'm at a complete lost of what to do because I can't even get to the desktop. My brothers told me they've never made any backup disks, so I can't use that. I fear that the only thing I can try now is reinstalling windows, but I'd hate to do that because, as it is the family computer, there are hundreds of digital photos that would be lost. Any advice or help that you guys could give me would be so greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by Jocelyn_, 06 December 2005 - 03:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trent_L

Trent_L

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:31 PM

Boot from your xp cd and go to the recovery console. Type chkdsk then reboot when its done. If that doesn't work try a repair install, you wont lose any data, you may however have to redo your xp updates. Ps should you choose the latter fix you will need you original xp serial number as well.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:03 PM

Do you have any antivirus or antispyware installed? go to Boot Disk and download the bootdisk for you verison of XP.
Search the antivirus you have on your computer and see what the proceedure is to run your computer from the command prompt.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Jocelyn_

Jocelyn_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:08 AM

I just wanted to thank you guys for your help. Thanks to the repair install, I was able to get back to my desktop and am in the process of getting rid of all the nasty spyware and trojans that they have on there. It's a pain, but at least I have the opportunity to make sure all the important data if safe now. Thanks!!!

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:14 AM

Excellent. I glad you were able to get in. Let us know your progress, also if there is anything we can do.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users