Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why does windows tell me I have more files than I actually do in my music folder?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ArtistInNeed

ArtistInNeed

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:11 PM

So basically when I right click my music folder it shows that I have 626 files in there, but I know for a fact that I have 501 songs in there :l
And even more come up when I scanned the folder for viruses, since I am a paranoid little dude. Microsoft Security Essential's scan showed that it scanned 665 files :l

So I wanna know what I can do to reduce this file count. I know that the jpg album artwork adds to the files, but I only have 79 album covers and 626 - 79 does not equal 501...

I went through all of my files using MP3 tag and made sure I didn't have varying cover art, so all my albums have the same cover art for each song :l

What else is amping up the file amout :l
Not really a problem, more of a curiosity thing.

Edited by ArtistInNeed, 24 December 2010 - 07:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:59 AM

Some of them will be hidden 'Thumbs.db' files .....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_thumbnail_cache

Some will probably be hidden 'desktop.ini' files.....

Desktop.ini is used to tell Windows how to display a folder. For example, enabling Thumbnail view creates a desktop.ini file in that folder which amongst other things, tells Windows to add an extra item to the View menu for that folder. Desktop.ini files are also used when you customize folders, change their icons etc.

If you use windows media player, that puts hidden files there to.

You can check by going to....... 'tools' / 'folder options' / 'view' / 'show hidden files and folders' and then clicking 'apply'.

Edited by 666philb, 25 December 2010 - 07:01 AM.

#3 ArtistInNeed

ArtistInNeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:51 AM

Hmm interesting :)
One thing though, I'm using windows 7, and when I was back on XP I knew how to view hidden files, but I can't seem to find out how where the foler options or tools settings are :/

I appreciate the help pal, happy holidays!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:56 PM

How to show hidden files in Windows 7
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users