Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about processor/socket/motherboard

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yorkred

yorkred

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:58 PM

ok I have 1 dead motherboard w/ this in it (netburst/prescott/socket N/0.9)

Intel® Celeron® D Processor 32 (256K Cache, 2.53 GHz, 533 MHz FSB)

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27108

and a motherboard I want to put it in which had this in it

Intel® Celeron® Processor 2.70 GHz, 128K Cache, 400 MHz FSB (netburst/northwood/socket N/0.13)

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27181

is this going to work or explode or what?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acheleg

acheleg

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

northwoods and prescotts are NOT compatible, they use differrent cpu sockets.

#3 yorkred

yorkred
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:01 PM

northwoods and prescotts are NOT compatible, they use differrent cpu sockets.

can you explain this? both say Socket 478.

I have not taken the CPU off the boards yet, I am going off manuals, wikipedia, intel website, dell website, HP website

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:56 PM

Socketwise, you are good to go, but there might be trouble with putting a newer, higher FSB CPU, into an older board. You need to see if voltages and FSBs are compatable. If the boards chipsets are compatable, only a BIOS flash might be needed to get functionality. It is always easier to put an older CPU in a newer board, all else being equal. New CPUs in old boards are more likely to cause a headache.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 yorkred

yorkred
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:19 PM

Socketwise, you are good to go, but there might be trouble with putting a newer, higher FSB CPU, into an older board. You need to see if voltages and FSBs are compatable. If the boards chipsets are compatable, only a BIOS flash might be needed to get functionality. It is always easier to put an older CPU in a newer board, all else being equal. New CPUs in old boards are more likely to cause a headache.

BIOS flash is a good idea I didn't think of that. I should look at what the BIOS update release notes say to see if they updated processor compatibility.

#6 yorkred

yorkred
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 02:06 PM

the bios update only says "added support for intel processors" doesn't say which ones

the FSB's are not the same. one is 533 one is 400. so is that a no-go?

#7 yorkred

yorkred
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 03:20 PM

the bios update only says "added support for intel processors" doesn't say which ones

the FSB's are not the same. one is 533 one is 400. so is that a no-go?

stupid thing won't even turn on now and all I did last night was do regular windows shutdown and not even touch it

i'm gonna take both boards out onto the wooden table clean them real good and try to get things working one last time before pitching the bleep in the trash

Edited by yorkred, 25 December 2010 - 03:23 PM.

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 03:23 PM

Check out those capacitors for leaks/bulges while you have them out.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 yorkred

yorkred
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:19 PM

well the board that I would like to be using w/ the better celeron installed in it is working outside of the case.

the problem with it in the case was hard drive/cd rom going haywire/not showing up at all, and now everything is working.

any ideas why? there was dust but nothing excessive. I will try to put it back in the case soon. I want to be 100% sure it is working good before buying 1 GB of ram for it

the problem with the older board is the onboard d-sub blue video connector. it was loose and on further inspection I discovered one side of the thing needs to be soldered or cob-jobbed in some way, I wish I could upload a pic of this but I don't have a camera. I'd like to hear any advice on this.

Edited by yorkred, 25 December 2010 - 06:32 PM.

#10 yorkred

yorkred
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:31 PM

I am going to put some rubber or electric tape or something under the board where the IDE connectors are and see what happens

Edited by yorkred, 25 December 2010 - 06:32 PM.

#11 yorkred

yorkred
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:18 PM

I am going to put some rubber or electric tape or something under the board where the IDE connectors are and see what happens

seems to be working now.

turns out 1 of the cd-roms was bad, but still why was the hard drive not showing up? who knows. maybe 2 different problems at the same time. maybe the electric tape solved the problem.

i'm still not confident enough to break down and buy the ram. i will give it more time.

still need to fix the d-sub video port on the older one. for another day.

Edited by yorkred, 25 December 2010 - 10:19 PM.

#12 yorkred

yorkred
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:52 PM

I guess the video port not being soldered down right really had nothing to do with the problems I was having, it must just be the way it is attached to the board rather than a vital connection.

the real problem was something to do with the power switch. I will have to fashion a new power switch. starting it with a screwdriver for now. :o

I also discovered I had a bad IDE cable floating around which was causing me problems and pitched that into the trash.

Edited by yorkred, 26 December 2010 - 07:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users