Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All .net functionality is corrupted

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 goombatrony

goombatrony

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:40 PM

I noticed this problem a few weeks ago and I have not been able to find a solution.

One day when I booted my PC I noticed that my Norton Ghost indicated that it had not performed a recent backup and it asked if I wanted to perform the missed backup at that time.

Of course I clicked Yes to perform the backup. I then got the following error popup:

============================================
To run Norton Ghost, you must first install Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0. Would you like to install the Microsoft .NET Framework package?
============================================

When I click Yes to install, the installation proceeds. It goes almost all the way through completion and then gives me the following error:

=============================================
Error 25015.Failed to install assembly 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.VisualBasic.Vsa.dll' because of a system error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
=============================================

I also noticed that any update that arrives for .NET through Windows Update will also fail. This seems to be for all versions of .NET that are available.

Thinking that there was a corrupted installation file I attempted an installation with both online and standalone installers. All came back with similar errors.

A helpful "friend" suggested that I run the .NET remover to clear the system from all .NET applications and reinstall in a particular order starting with v1.1.

After running the remover, I was able to install the initial version of .NET Framework 1.1 successfully.

Since then Windows Update has tried to push a security update for this and it repeatedly fails.

I have tried again to run both online and standalone installers for v1.1 and other versions with no success.

The help that I now need is how to I get my computer to run .NET again? Especially 2.0 which my Norton Ghost seems to require to run.

My PC is running Win XP Pro SP3....

Thanks and have a Merry Christmas!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:01 PM

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/NET-Framework-Cleanup-Tool.shtml , use this tool to remove all currently installed versions of MS.NET.

Then install http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=ab99342f-5d1a-413d-8319-81da479ab0d7&displaylang=en .

Louis

#3 goombatrony

goombatrony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:25 PM

I ran the removal tool, which ran successfully. I than ran the suggested installer, which failed. A copy of the error log is below --

[12/24/10,16:24:14] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
[12/24/10,16:24:51] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a is not installed.

#4 goombatrony

goombatrony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:00 PM

Found this and it worked!

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/solving-setup-errors-by-using-the-subinacl-tool-to-repair-file-and-registry-permissions.aspx

All my .net installations are now working....

Edited by goombatrony, 24 December 2010 - 11:00 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:08 AM

Very good self-help, thanks for posting...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users