Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trailing spaces in wireless keys.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chris155aus

chris155aus

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:50 AM

As some of you may know, when text has been copied sometimes the highlight selection extends beyond the last character and picks up a trailing space and when pasted the space will be pasted too. In this day and age of wireless encryption with many users using a random array of up to 64 characters, I can see how it could be an issue. After a random key has been entered into a modem or router's config, most users will copy the key and paste it into the key text field in windows when prompted upon attempting to connect to a network. Now, depending on the source of the copy, a trailing space may or may not be included in the copy. Textpad seems to not include a space, but when I copied from a hotmail email, it most certainly did.
This has surely confused alot of people who are wondering how they have possibly entered the wrong password.
Shouldn't trailing spaces be ignored, based on the fact that most users do not make passwords with a space at the end?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:12 PM

Hi chris155aus -
I have found that by doing a cut/copy and paste that if you start from the last letter and stop at the first letter it works better -
Just as an extra question , what browser are you using ?? I find that this occured more when I updated to IE 8 after using IE 7 for ages -

Thank You -

#3 chris155aus

chris155aus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:06 AM

I am using Firefox. But I was more getting at the idea that trailing spaces should be ignored, based on the principle that most users do not make passwords with a space at the end.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:59 AM

Hi -
Even with F/fox the area that you copy can always include a vacant space at either end unless you are careful -

That is why I always do it in Reverse - Last letter to first letter - Try it a few times and you will find it better - :)

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 27 January 2011 - 05:01 AM.

#5 chris155aus

chris155aus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:30 AM

I think you're thinking of me as someone who is having troubles and is crying out for help! Thanks, but no, it doesn't cause me any problems because I know what is happening, I know how to get around it. But I was more getting at the idea that trailing spaces should be ignored, based on the principle that most users do not make passwords with a space at the end. I'm thinking of it from the perspective of basic users who would be clueless and when you think about it, it is bad design.
I guess I was trying to start a discussion and generate opinions.

Edited by chris155aus, 29 January 2011 - 08:30 AM.

#6 chris155aus

chris155aus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:40 AM

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:34 AM

I think you're thinking of me as someone who is having troubles and is crying out for help!

No problems chris, and the item has been read by many people (a lot who would have your same ideas) -

I was only puting an option for the same people that you were directing the first comment at - The only thing I can compare it to, is that if you "double space" your words here (on the forum), at least the extra space is taken out in the final post (I just did that to prove it :P ) -

Not sure if you had a post above this one, but the box is blank ??

I hope others read and think as you have - Good ideas and well put -

Best Regards -

#8 chris155aus

chris155aus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

I hope others read and think as you have
Best Regards -