Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Cd Burner Has Hid Its Self From Me I Need Help Locating It

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 daytonarolls29

daytonarolls29

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 02:38 PM

hello everyone,
I have a compaq laptop computer with windows XP ... I have burned many music cd's with this computer in the past.... I lent this same laptop out and it was returned to me with Dell's window XP on it.With this being said my computer can not even locate its cd burner and I do not have any original software for this computer what so ever.. I just want to burn music again..Is there anyone out there that could please help me?? it would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:58 PM

Can you contact compaq and see about getting a restore disk or an xp installation disk (preferable)?

Most of the time the disk provided by the oem, compaq or dell, is tweaked for their hardware/software package. The problem here is that dell's version of xp (however it got on your computer) did not recognize the cd burner and install the proper drivers.

Try going to start/control panel/performance and maintenance/system. Click on hardware tab. Click on the device manager tab and scroll down to the DVD/CD rom listings. Is anything there? If so right click on whatever you find there and select uninstall. Reboot and hopefully windows will find the drive and install the drivers for it.

If this doesn't work, go to the compaq web site, look for your laptop and see if it has drivers for the cd drive.

Last option would be to go to the drive manufacturer's site and look for drivers. If you can figure out what brand drive you have.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:56 PM

Is it just the burning aspect of the drive or is the drive still usable. What I mean is, can you use it to read CD's?

#4 Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:28 AM

Daytona-

There's more to it than just the drivers, I'm afraid. There is software that runs the chipset also; depending on how the Dell image was installed on the system, you may have more problems down the road...

What you should do is contact Compaq and ask them for a complete image of the OS, drivers, and other tools specifically for that model of laptop. If it's still under warranty, tell them you just want to completely reinstall the OS. Save the data you can and wipe the driveto get the Dell image off that machine.

Even though both are XP, there are proprietary files that run on the different models of laptops, even if they are made from the same company. The two just aren't the same...

It is possible to go through the OS file by file and install the correct ones, once you find them but it is tedious.

Basically there is the easy was and the hard way.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:46 AM

Do you have the original Compaq restore cd for your computer.

(it may be on a second partition on the hard drive)

If so, restore your computer to its original condition.

If you do not have the original restore disk and it isn't on the computer, you may be able to buy one from Compaq (HP).

You will need the original Windows XP key as well, which Compaq should be able to provide you.

#6 daytonarolls29

daytonarolls29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 02:27 PM

Thank you guys so much for your help...I will perform these tasks to get this computer up and running again... you have been a big help..........I am a student @ East Carolina University...So GO PIRATES!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users