Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SimpleTech 1TB External Drive Failure

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 midnight51

midnight51

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:14 AM

I bought this drive maybe a year or so ago and it has gradually been declining. Now I try to transfer a file of around 300MB and it takes 12 hours to transfer. Has anyone else experienced this with this model of drive or have found a solution? Is the drive just failing? I have tons and tons of backup data on this 1TB drive and I cannot afford to lose it. Any help would be appreciated.

M51

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:52 PM

Just a wild guess...try running chkdsk /r on it...then running defrag after that.

Louis

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:21 PM

I reckon the hard drive is failing.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Starless

Starless

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:45 AM

I own own/owned one of these atrocities, certainly the worst external in my experience. Two months into use all the interior mounting screws vibrated loose and the drive was rattling loose inside the case. Then the power supply blew up at three months, and the drive itself had a spindle seizure at nine months. Just say no to Hitachi products, because that's what's inside the unventilated crap plastic enclosure.

In fact all that's left of the rig is the enclosure which now houses a WD Caviar black.

--Starless

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:46 AM

The drive may be failing...or the enclosure itself may be the problem.

I would remove the hard drive from the enclosure...run the appropriate diagnostic on it...and ascertain drive functionality.

Louis

#6 midnight51

midnight51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

Yeah, long story short, the drive is a complete piece of crap. I pried the external enclosure off the thing until I broke the plastic, of course after I did that I figured out the proper way to do it was to just remove the front part of it, oh well I'm not crying about it. I hooked it up all kinds of different ways to my PC and ran chkdsk and high quality data retrieval software on it and get nothing. Well chkdsk runs but I think the drive is so badoff that it's unfixable. Now every time I go to the computer store I see an external drive that's like 60-70$ and I can't bring myself to purchase it because I'm afraid.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

Well...who said it had to be an external drive?

An external hard drive...is nothing but an internal hard drive mounted somewhere other than the motherboard. Some think this is an improvement...I see it as an introduction of more points-of-failure (the USB connection, the enclosure itself, the power capability of the enclosure).

One of the original premises behind some advocating an external drive as a sort of "solution"...lay in the premise that such drives would never be run as frequently as regular drives are. The basic selling point of "external" lay in assumptions that it would be "less" likely to the normal foibles all hard drives have (by virtue of less-than-frequent use) and it would be portable.

USB drives as used today...are just slower system drives...with more potential points of failure/disruption for users. But buyers don't seem to perceive this in the same manner that I do :).

I understand why you might want a 1TB drive...lots of storage. There is no logical reason it has to be an external drive. Same storage, easier to troubleshoot.

Unless we are talking storage for laptops/netbooks/anything else other than a desktop.

Louis

#8 midnight51

midnight51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

Yeah you are right there. I have a WD 500GB external that has been a pretty solid drive so far. I like to have something portable able to store large amounts of data in case I need to take it somewhere and back someone up or whatnot. But yeah I think I like your suggestion of just adding another internal drive instead. Thanks again.

Josh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users