Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shops

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tropnevad

tropnevad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:17 AM

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I have learned much reading BC over the past couple of weeks.

My question is: What expertise do computer shops have that I cannot find here? Last year I paid $200 to have a shop remove viruses/spyware/malware/etc. What tools/programs do these shops use (they are very hush-hush)?

Just wondering because I just helped a friend remove the same types of infections with information and tools that I learned here at BC, and it seemed to have the same result as what I paid for last year.

Did I waste my money using a shop? It sure feels like it.

Thanks for any comments.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:48 PM

A lot depends on the shop, but generally, at a shop you get experts who do it for a living and who can get it done in a quick amount of time. At BC we have experts-who are every bit as good, but we are volunteers, and as such we may not be able to assist you as quicky as a shop can, but can in most cases, guide you through the repair and get it done just as well if your willing to do a little work. So in reality, computer shop offers ease of service, as in all you have to do is drop it off-we offer helping you fix it. Our Volunteers are all qualified individuals who know their way around a computer, and while we all dont know everything, we are a large team and if one of us needs help the others step in to help, which is something a computer shop does not have. So I guess theres your difference :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:56 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I have a shop in a fairly small town. I relocated from a large city and have done this for 11 years now.
Most of the problems (95%+) are viruses and malware. I rarely replace parts.
I use the same tools that we use here at BC and show my customers how to use them to prevent future issues.
I never charge an hourly rate as I think that is wrong. I have a set resonable price for a virus scan and system tuneup but I take the extra time to do the litte things like defraggin the hard drive and preventing unnecessary programs from loading on startup. My shop stands on its reputation of being good, fast, honest and reasonable.

Its a convenience thing. In most cases the system is back same day or no later than next.
Most of the things I do I learned from the experts here. But I will only go so far with some tools used here as I have gotten in trouble a few times with them and had to be bailed out.

As Patriot said, we are all volunteers here. BC consists of an international group of people with varying levels of expertise. Its a good bunch of folks, the best in the world. We do this because we love it!

Hope you like the forum!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:22 PM

I myself am not very fond of taking computers away to shops and letting them out of their owner's sight. You should have seen me the very few, and I mean very few, times I allowed the Gordon College tech department to have possession of my laptop to fix it. It was very hard for me, but I think that's just a problem I have. Since my computer is the equivalent of my everything, (used for friendly communication, school work, experimental work, and eventually, I want my own server), I'll probably have it harder than most individuals. All of my computer equipment is named and personalized, therefore, I'm not ashamed to personify them either. When my computers aren't doing good, usually I'm not doing good. I think that's a problem though, as I said of too much attachment. If I'm crazy, let me know, but if this topic interests you, let me know. That's why I don't like the idea of shops. I also feel that users need to have a certain amount of basic knowledge in order for them to even be sitting at a computer, and if that basic knowledge does not exist, then it's pen and paper for them! Or in my case, the good old Perkins Braille writer for I read Braille.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users