Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Storage space reduced after defragmentation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shinn

shinn

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:10 AM

Hi! I don't know where to post this. I'm running disk defragmenter and noticed that my local disk size is reduced by 40Gb when I didn't download anything. Is there anyway of resolving this?

Thanks a lot. Merry Christmas!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 speedbird76

speedbird76

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:05 AM

I wish there was a clear answer to your question, but as my best guess, it may be to do with shadow copies and how the Vista defragmenter has trouble with those. To get your space back, deleting all the restore points by resetting system restore (turn it off, reboot, and turn it back on) may help.

For the future, you can also try to defrag with a 'smarter' shadow copy-aware third party automatic defragger; it may minimize the loss of space due to shadow copy activity.

I am not 100% certain about all of the above, hence the liberal use of 'may' instead of 'will/is'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users