Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected xp home (32bit) sp3?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 t-s

t-s

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:49 AM

I have a Toshiba Equium M50 laptop running XP Home (32 bit) with Service Pack 3. Last couple of days I noticed when browsing (using IE8) that menus started behaving strangely e.g. I had to click Favorites button about 3 times before the dropdown list appeared.

I tried uninstalling IE8, reverting to IE7, but the problem continued there (and have now re-installed IE8).

This problem appears to have spread to other strange mouse click responses e.g. in MS Outlook a single left click on an email sometimes opens the mail in a new window whereas before it just became visible in the reviewing pane; e.g. clicking the card deck in the Solitaire game (that came bundled with Windows) sometimes turns cards over twice.

I have run the following, which have reported no problems found: MS Security Essentials full scan, MS Onecare full service safety scan.

If anyone can offer any help with trying to resolve this I'd appreciate it.

-------------------
Doh! Forgot to try the most obvious - see if a different mouse (or the touch pad) has the same problem - which they don't, so guess this was a hardware problem after all. Sorry guys, didn't realise a mouse could develop a fault that would exhibit these symptoms (and the symptoms boil down to a single left click being translated into a double).

Edited by t-s, 25 December 2010 - 02:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users