Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Consistent BSOD on startup and sometimes a bit into use (x64, VISTA HomePremimum SP1)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 hitachihex

hitachihex

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:53 AM

Hi,

Before I go into details, i'd like to say that i'm currently downloading SP2 as I type this to see if it resolves ANY issue. I doubt it will, since this problem has not occured before, and my last Windows Update was a few months ago, after I cleared a nasty virus (AV2K10) from my comp with HJT\COMBOFIX (it took about 2 hours, but I managed it alone through being patient and knowing quite a bit about how they work, etc).

Onto the actual problem...

A few hours ago, while just browsing with Firefox my comp decided to shutdown, without a BSOD or anything. (Mind you this has happened before, and it was deemed and fixed as to be an overheating PSU (factory.. bleh, funny thing is.. the damned plastic on the plug melted, heh..))

I restarted and decided to do a regular scan with SAS\Spybot S&D (I also have MBAM stored safely for occassions) and I got nothin' on the scan. Went about my daily things (Youtube..) and BAM, BSOD, with STOP being 0xD3.

Was pretty angry about that, because I thought (and hoped) that it wasn't a re-occuring instance (the previous shutdown with no notification).. boy was I wrong :\

Now, on Normal Startup, I'll get really long startup times (or at least long compared to what i'm used to) and a BSOD when I click OK to type in my password for my account, OR (the more often) BSOD 1-2 minutes in (while startup progs\services are readying).

I haven't installed any new drivers that I know of, so I figured a roll-back wouldn't fix anything. Went on my merry-way to Safe Mode, and it does NOT BSOD during Safe Mode (with networking), but more often than not while it's loading the config\drivers\etc it will freeze there and I have to do a hard shutdown.

I want to re-clarify before anything that it will NOT BSOD in Safe Mode if I get there, which is why I really want to rule out hardware problems, though it could, and possibly may be one.

I have 8 minidumps, and some of them are pertaining to different root problems than the previous or next. There's more DRIVER\IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (0xA) than occurances of the others (2-3 occurances of KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (0x1E)). Only one occurance of 0xD3 happened, and that was the first BSOD after the random shutdown.

The 0xD3 dump is not present in the minidumps, despite the others being there.

I can attach each minidump individually if need be, but I see that it says I have a global upload quota of 512KB, and each mdump is about 250~270kb. It also says i'm not allowed to upload that kind of file. (Ninja edit before I hit post)

I'm going to C/P results from WhoCrashed until further notice:

Mini122310-01.dmp:

On Fri 12/24/2010 1:51:19 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini122310-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x553D0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x10, 0xC, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002084F46)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

------------------
Mini122310-02.dmp:

On Fri 12/24/2010 2:03:40 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini122310-02.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002059A28, 0x0, 0x7FFFFFA0000)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

------------------
Mini122310-03.dmp:

On Fri 12/24/2010 3:09:00 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini122310-03.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x18, 0xC, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800020E23BE)
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

------------------
Mini122310-04.dmp:

On Fri 12/24/2010 3:15:09 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini122310-04.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: pciidex.sys (PCIIDEX+0x112C)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xC480, 0xC, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8000202D9A5)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\pciidex.sys
description: PCI IDE Bus Driver Extension
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

-----------------
Mini122310-05.dmp:

On Fri 12/24/2010 4:06:17 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini122310-05.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002489932, 0x0, 0x44)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

------------------
Mini122310-06.dmp:

On Fri 12/24/2010 4:20:43 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini122310-06.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x10, 0xC, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800020D3F46)

------------------
Mini122310-07.dmp:

On Fri 12/24/2010 4:29:13 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini122310-07.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFFA60087323C0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFA60007C9D6B)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.

----------------------------
memory.dmp: (not a minidump)

On Fri 12/24/2010 4:34:13 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x9, 0xC, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800020709B9)

------------------
Mini122310-08.dmp:

On Fri 12/24/2010 4:34:13 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini122310-08.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x9, 0xC, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800020709B9)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The times that these occured are not correct, as my computer clock is not set to my timezone. And about the non-minidump crash being marked at the same time as the 8th minidump crash, I think thats just WhoCrashed reading file timestamps incorrectly.

Any help is greaty appreciated (I know this is a long post, and if need be, I can upload the minidumps somewhere else or here when I find out how.)

Thanks,

EDIT: I've managed to make it blue screen in safemode now, but that was while it was reverting AND attempting to install service pack 2. I couldn't get it to finish installing SP2, since it can't be done in Safe Mode, and I can't get into normal boot and let it install it without it blue screening during the install. The revert was done during Safe Mode.

Since then, I checked to see if my RAM was faulty, by removing one stick, and leaving another in, and if no problems, rebooting succesively until a blue screen occurs, or felt safe that it wouldn't (then notify it as being a RAM problem) but this was not the case. The first time I removed one 2GB stick I managed to normal boot just fine, so I rebooted to check to see if i'd blue screen, and no dice. I removed the other stick, and put the one I removed to test the current removed stick as a faulty one then.

On startup, I can't even a get a signal to my monitor now, and there's no beep signifying BIOS bootup (not getting past POST)

ATM i'm at a complete loss, on another comp for now.

I'm going to attempt to put the 2 2GB sticks into this comp tonight or tommorow and see if they're really the culprit.

Edited by hitachihex, 24 December 2010 - 09:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users