Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hacked Router? Possible?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:55 PM

Hello all;

I recently had a long running post under "Malware/Spyware removal Logs" titles "IE8 Corrupted". Well I finally wiped the drive and reinstalled XP and did all the updates and tried to reset my router. It seems that it lost something in the process. I was not able to set the parameters that I normally had on the routed [Linksys WRT54GS]. Also I left the machine running it's final updates and went to bed. I was able to connect to the internet with no wifi encryption on and downloaded AVG & Superantispyware and ran scans. The router was really acting strange. My ISP is sending me a new combo unit with hardly any prodding! Can this router be infected in some way?

sure is strange!

Soap
UFO pilot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:52 AM

Yes, it's possible.

You have to reset it.

Turn the computer off.

On your router, you'll find a pinhole marked "Reset".
Keep pushing the hole, using a pencil, or a paperclip until all lights briefly come off and on.
NOTE. Simple router disconnecting from a power source will NOT do.
Restart computer and check for redirections.

NOTE. You may need to re-check your router security settings, as described HERE

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:53 AM

Hi -
Please First follow the directions above from Broni - Only if there is still a problem you can try this item -

XP router redirect/infection repair can be done this way - Print these instructions or save them in Notepad -

1. Very important: First disconnect your computer from the internet. (Log Off from the Internet)

2. Router Reset: Next you must reset the router to its default configuration. This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds).

3. Reset the IP/DNS settings of your interent connection:

•Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Double click on Network Connections.
•Right click on your default connection (usually Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection) and select Properties.

•Select the General tab.
•Double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
◦Under General tab:
•Select "Obtain an IP address automatically".
•Select "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

•Click OK twice to save the settings.
•Reboot if you had to change any setting.

4. Flush the DNS cache: (To clean out any remaining items)

•Click the Start logo in the bottom left corner of the screen
•Click on Run (or press Windows Key + R)
•In the command window copy/paste the following:
ipconfig /flushdns
•Then hit enter.
•Exit the command window.

5. Reconnect: Once you have followed all the above steps you can reconnect your computer to the internet .
Now check you have internet working -
The final item from Broni should show how to set a good password (Yes you do need one) -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 24 December 2010 - 02:58 AM.

#4 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:29 PM

Hi all;

I'm out of town for the Christmas holiday and will return Tuesday. I will do all of this when I get home (or read over it again). I received a new router/modem from my ISP today after requesting it yesterday (fast service). I will install that and follow the instructions to flush the DNS .I hope this post doesn't get closed for inactivity.

Merry Christmas

Soap
UFO pilot

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:39 PM

<<I hope this post doesn't get closed for inactivity.>>

FWIW: Malware topics posted in the malware forums...are the only topics which get closed in any forum due to inactivity/lack of response by the OP. Since this is not one of the malware forums...and your post does not fall into the other types of posts which might be closed (rules violation, duplicate topic, etc.)...enjoy your holiday and resume at your convenience :).

Louis

#6 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:09 AM

Hello all;
Well I received and installed a new combo router/modem provided by my ISP and all seems good now. I also flushed the DNS as told above. The setup was a little different but with a little help from the ISP it's looking good. Thanks for the help.
Soap
UFO pilot

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

Good news :)

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users