Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I know which motherboard I have?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Ran-K

Ran-K

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:24 PM

I have a friend's motherboard but he has no documentation for it, and all I see is MSI n1996, but looking on the net there's lots of different variations on that model.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:45 PM

Hello follow instructions below.

How To Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to post your computer's specifications to the forum with minimal effort on your part. This is often helpful when troubleshooting problems, and the person helping you needs to see the details of your computer's hardware.

Tools Needed
  • Speccy - First, you will need a program called Speccy. According to Piriform: "Speccy is an advanced system information tool for your PC." This is a very useful utility that every PC user should have in their arsenal.

Instructions
  • Go to Piriform's website, and click the big Posted Image button.

Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    Posted Image

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
    Posted Image

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Posted Image

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the Posted Image button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

This will help us determine what motherboard you have.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 24 December 2010 - 02:35 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:48 AM

Is this motherboard currently running in a computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:42 PM

Is this motherboard currently running in a computer?

Good point dc3, my post above is probably not possible if this is the case here. :whistle:

I searched n1996 on MSI's web site, it came back with no such product.

Is there any other numbers on the motherboard Ran-k?

Please check the area in or around the RAM slots, usually the model number is printed in-between the slots.

Or if you can get a decent snap-shot of the motherboard and post a link to the image, I might be able to identify it. But the image has to be well focused and clear enough to see the details.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 24 December 2010 - 02:46 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,436 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:41 PM

I searched n1996 on MSI's web site, it came back with no such product.

Is there any other numbers on the motherboard Ran-k?

Yes, it's not a model number, it's the manufacturer code for MSI, it will be on all sorts of MSI boards.

http://us.msi.com/support/certificate/hardware.asp

Ran-k, as MrBruce has indicated, search first for another number, often silk screened between the PCI slots, or if the board is operational, use diagnostic software to ID it. If Windows is not installed, but the board can be booted up, entering the BIOS setup may display the board ID info, or by enabling full POST and noting the BIOS ID string shown on screen during POST, a Google search may identify the model.

If it is a board made OEM by MSI for another manufacturer like HP or eMachines, there is usually no support or acknowledgement of it on the MSI website, support is provided by the brand manufacturer. Just to muddle things more, MSI might have a board marketed as MSI using the same model number, but it could be a different board to the OEM one.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Ran-K

Ran-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:03 AM

It says:

MS-7255 VER: 2.1

I'd like to know if I can use regular Sata 2 drives, since my friend used IDE drives all the time. I was thinking maybe there was a compatibility issue with the BIOS or something, or maybe he just didn't know he could use SATA?

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,436 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:57 AM

Well, there's nothing wrong with IDE drives if that's what he had. But the MS-7255 uses a VT8237A controller, which was a first generation SATA controller and I believe it doesn't support the automatic backwards compatability of SATA II drives. So it seems for a SATA II drive to be suitable for the board, it should have a jumper to set SATA I mode, or provision to use a utility to set the mode in firmware.

I also find people saying it has no facility to set IDE emulation mode, complicating its use with XP.

#8 Ran-K

Ran-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:15 AM

So I should just stick with IDE drives if I'm planning on using XP?

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,436 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

With that board, it will simplify matters to stick with IDE drives. If it's correct that there is no IDE emulation mode, then to install XP on a SATA drive you'll need to have the correct SATA drivers ready on a floppy disk and press F6 when prompted during the install, or slipstream the drivers onto an updated install CD. Since it can be a good idea to slipstream SP3 if the XP being used is a lower service pack level, many people used nLite to create an install CD with SATA drivers and SP3.

#10 Ran-K

Ran-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:50 AM

With that board, it will simplify matters to stick with IDE drives. If it's correct that there is no IDE emulation mode, then to install XP on a SATA drive you'll need to have the correct SATA drivers ready on a floppy disk and press F6 when prompted during the install, or slipstream the drivers onto an updated install CD. Since it can be a good idea to slipstream SP3 if the XP being used is a lower service pack level, many people used nLite to create an install CD with SATA drivers and SP3.

Is it possible that even with the drivers or slipstream XP the SATA drive won't work?

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,436 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:53 AM

There's no reason to expect any problem with a SATA I (1.5 Gbps) drive. A SATA II (3.0 Gbps) drive may also work OK, but people have reported problems. If that happened, you'd need to set the SATA II drive back to 1.5Gbps, eg Samsung's FAQ:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/faqView.do?b2b_bbs_msg_id=121

#12 Ran-K

Ran-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:10 PM

So having a SATA II drive and setting the jumper, there shouldn't be a problem? Or are there reported problems with that too?

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,436 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

No, no problems that I'm aware of.

#14 Ran-K

Ran-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:09 AM

Oh one last question: Does it have to be a special jumper or just any jumper like the ones used in IDE drives? I ask because I'm buying a bare drive so I'm guessing it won't come with a jumper.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:44 AM

The jumper should come with the hdd.

Here's a picture of where to find it and how to set it.

Posted Image

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users