Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop suddenly lagging, unresponsive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MariaElle

MariaElle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:57 PM

I recently had Windows 7 Ultimate x64 bit installed on my laptop and it was operating perfectly for about three weeks... That is, until a few days ago when I decided to upload some photos from my camera. It was quite a few, over 200, but I have plenty of disc space. Suddenly it has slowed down, and at times unresponsive. It will freeze up for a few minutes, then suddenly continue with whatever I was trying to do. It doesn't make sense to me that uploading photos would do this, but that's the only significant change that I made before this started.
In case it's a coincidence and it is a virus, I've run rkill, Malewarebytes, Advanced System Care, and a full Avira scan. Nothing has come up. Any other suggestions?
Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:42 AM

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Edit: I would also like to suggest that you download and run Process Explorer.

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

Edited by dc3, 24 December 2010 - 12:56 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MariaElle

MariaElle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:09 PM

Ok, here is my Speccy publish, and my Process Explorer results are attached: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/IBQXU9gwVlaTy5lQe6ZQ88m

I deleted the photos, and have rebooted since, and it seems to be running a little bit better now (though still lagging at times).

I appreciate your help!!

Attached Files

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,479 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:09 AM

Are you not using the network sharing feature in Windows Media Player?

If you are temporarily disable this service.

1. Open up Services from Control Panel, or type services.msc into the start menu search/run box.

2. Double click on Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, and then change the service start up to Manual.

This will temporarily disabled the service unless you manually start the service. Restart the computer and check if the service has been stopped and the CPU usage had come down.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 MariaElle

MariaElle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:45 PM

Eureka! That was it! I could tell the difference as soon as I stopped the service.
I only need that service if I want to use the fancier features of WMC, like watching videos from my computer to my TV? I don't plan on doing that any time soon.
I really appreciate your help!!! Thanks!!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,479 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:59 PM

Glad to be able to help. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users