Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acronis True Image

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wkid

wkid

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:14 PM

Please direct me to the proper forum if I am in the wrong one. This deals with Acronis True Image Home 2011 Plus Pack and Windows XP Home SP3 (on Dell inspiron 531s).

I will provide brief information now and give much more detailed information and questions after this topic is picked up. The HDD on this machine may be failing. I wish to be able to restore a full image of the current disk to the new HDD which I have ordered. --BUT-- There is an additional problem. The current OS is damaged. I wish to restore all files, programs, etc. and have the OS in good health.

As I stated above, this information is brief. More details are to follow.

helpful guidance will be appreciated.
wkid
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. - Benjamin Franklin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thomasjk

thomasjk

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

You will have to put the OS in working order first. If you don't you will still have to repair it and depending what the issues are with the OS you may not get a valid backup. What is the problem with the OS?

This forum http://forum.acronis.com/forums/acronis-discussion-forums/acronis-home-home-office-products-discussions/acronis-true-image-ho is good place to ask these kinds of questions.

#3 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:59 PM

thomasjk,

Thanks for your reply.

My knowledge and experience are nowhere near expert level, but I have some understanding of what is happening. There are a couple of issues which intertwine in this topic. I will deal with them at the end of this post.

The full extent of the OS problems are unknown at present. The computer is functional on a daily basis. System Restore does not exist on this machine. This has been confirmed more than once. There was a previous, rather lengthy attempt to repair this issue by importing it from the factory install disk. The attempt was unsuccessful. I speculate that the registry has additional problems which contributed to this failed attempt.

A repair install was discussed, but with the presence of Acronis and ERUNT backups it was decided that it should be left alone for the time being. With this new event, I'm exploring the possibilities again. I am open to suggestions in light of the issues I referred to above.

There are additional considerations on this machine. There are five user accounts, six users, and over 150 programs installed on this machine. I wish to keep as many browser settings, browser add-ons, personal configurations, programs, etc. intact as possible. Restoring this much manually would be a monumental task.

Your thoughts?

regards,
wkid

#4 thomasjk

thomasjk

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:09 AM

There are additional considerations on this machine. There are five user accounts, six users, and over 150 programs installed on this machine. I wish to keep as many browser settings, browser add-ons, personal configurations, programs, etc. intact as possible. Restoring this much manually would be a monumental task.

True Image is the type of application that you need to backup and restore a complete image of the entire machine and all the settings.

Are there any errors being shown when the machine boots or runs?

I'd suggest running a complete backup of the machine using TI to an external hard drive. Make a complete disk backup not files and folders. Run a validation on the backup image to make sure it is good. Make the bootable rescue CD and boot from it to be sure that you can see the hard drive in the machine and the external drive. Install the new hard drive and do a restore to the new hard drive while booted from the rescue cd. See this link for lots of guides and useful information http://forum.acronis.com/forum/3426 .

I also recommend perusing the forum I linked to in my first post.

#5 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:49 AM

I have posted in the Acronis forum as you have suggested and am awaiting replies.

True Image is the type of application that you need to backup and restore a complete image of the entire machine and all the settings.

I have scheduled daily incremental image backups on a weekly rotation such that a new full image is created once a week. As soon as I can take a break from the accumulation of information is printed form, I plan to create a dedicated image. All archived backups are on my external disk saved to a logical drive dedicated to backups.

Does the image preserve my saved emials in Yahoo! Classic and Gmail? browser configurations, etc.?

Are there any errors being shown when the machine boots or runs?

Fortunately I have encountered no errors.

Make the bootable rescue CD and boot from it to be sure that you can see the hard drive in the machine and the external drive.

The instructions include a change in BIOS. Is this safe for me to attempt? I have absolutely no understanding of BIOS; however, I can research it if this machine holds up long enough. (I have not turned it off, and it is running silently.)

Instructions differ for with and without a hidden partition. How do I determine which I have?

I will check your linked information immediately upon posting this reply.

Thanks for your follow up.

regards,
wkid

#6 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:25 AM

additional question for last post:

I will ask this in the Acronis forum also in case replies are delayed by the Christmas holiday.

Am I going to be cloning the existing disk, or doing an image restore? I don't understand the difference.

Edited by wkid, 24 December 2010 - 11:43 AM.

#7 thomasjk

thomasjk

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

Am I going to be cloning the existing disk, or doing an image restore? I don't understand the difference.

Image restore is preferred but cloning could also be used. Cloning copies the contents from the old hard drive to the new. Image restore allows you to restore the exact state the machine was in when the image was created.

Does the image preserve my saved emials in Yahoo! Classic and Gmail? browser configurations, etc.?

Yes everything is preserved as long as you are making a full disk backup.

The instructions include a change in BIOS. Is this safe for me to attempt? I have absolutely no understanding of BIOS; however, I can research it if this machine holds up long enough. (I have not turned it off, and it is running silently.)

Yes but you will need to reboot to accomplish this. Accessing the BIOS depends on the machine you have. Please post the deatils of your machine.

Instructions differ for with and without a hidden partition. How do I determine which I have?

This is dependent on your machine. As I suggested above posting the details will help determine what you have.

#8 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:37 PM

Dell inspiron 5631s (desktop)
Windows XP Home SP3

Do you need additional information? ... hardware? ... software? If you tell me exactly what you need, I will supply it.

regards,
wkid

BTW -- I ran a disk image sector-by-sector backup (almost 64GB) and validated it. The Acronis forum has not replied, which is consistent with my previous experience there. --SO-- I must ask here, do I need a different format for the backup?

Thanks,
wkid

#9 thomasjk

thomasjk

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

I found your posts over at the Acronis forums and you have indeed received a reply. Delayed a bit by Christmas.

#10 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:36 PM

Thanks,

I found it earlier and replied with more specific questions to make sure that I have a complete understanding. Judging by the time stamp for your reply, I suppose that you also found my other questions. I feel a little better knowing that additional support is available at the Acronis forums.

I am still holding some hope that when I can devote uninterrupted time to physical diagnostic as described in a different thread will reveal that the hard drive is not the culprit. If that ends up being the case, I will be very happy to have increased my understanding in the process. I have taken the time to learn quite a few new things.

regards,
wkid

#11 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:40 PM

Thanks to all who have provided guidance.

After cleaning and performing minor troubleshooting, this machine is up and running. There are no unusual sounds. I will take the wait and see attitude. The Acronis forum provided me with some good information to improve my knowledge. The entire sequence of events has been very helpful for increasing my understanding.

regards,
wkid

#12 thomasjk

thomasjk

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:49 PM

Looks like your on your way to having this issue behind you.

#13 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:10 PM

If not, I know where to turn for help.

Thanks everyone.
wkid