Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Will Not Boot, Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JoeRa

JoeRa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:14 PM

Gateway LX6810
Vista Service Pack 2
Q8200 Core 2 Quad
8GB RAM

I'll try to keep this short.

My computer was acting fine then I got a message from Windows Essentials saying a required restart was needed to finish an update. I exited the message as I was doing something a restarted 15 minutes later. When I restarted it went through the normal shutdown cycle then the monitor turned off. But the computer stayed on. I figured this was part of the update and it would shut down in a minute. After about 15 minutes it still didn't shut off so I shut it down manually. When I restarted it, it got to the welcome screen and it went to a blue screen. I thought it was a one time thing so I restarted it again and the same thing happen. I tried safe mode and the same thing happen.

One time the computer started it got to the desktop but wasn't acting right at all. I saw a message from Windows Essentials saying "A full system scan is required to finish threat removal." This was the first time I saw any evidence of a threat." I clicked scan but the computer was not responding.

I cleaned out the computer of dust, the cpu fan I believe (see screenshot below) accumulates a lot of dust and has been the cause of random shut offs once before. I saw a large amount of dust deep inside by the fan so I unscrewed it and blew out all the dust. I put it back together and tried again with no luck.

Here is the blue screen that comes up
0x000000D1 (0x0a0 0x02... XFFFFFA6000B8E930)
storport.sys
http://imgur.com/rxI1o
http://imgur.com/NOsRm

Here is the inside of the computer and what I cleaned out
http://i.imgur.com/C7L9a.jpg
http://imgur.com/t23zb

Let me know of any additional info needed.

Edited by hamluis, 24 December 2010 - 08:49 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:28 PM

Hello,
Do you have a Vista DVD at hand, or if you don't have one, does tapping F8 and bringing up the Advanced boot menu options, include the Repair Windows option?
If so, please try a Startup Repair

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 JoeRa

JoeRa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:26 PM

I have 2 DVD's that came with the computer. Neither of them are official dvds but instead made by the previous owner.
The first is labeled Gateway System Restore.
The other 2 are labeled Gateway Recovery Disc (disc 1 and 2)

When the system restore cd is inserted and booted from it brings me to "Gateway recovery center." From here there are two options visible, restore to factory defaults or exit. The restore option is there but is not clickable, the exit option is clickable but just restarts the computer.

The gateway recovery disc does nothing.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:58 AM

When you tap F8 on startup, do you see the "Repair Windows" option in the Advanced boot options menu?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users