Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead Internet Explorer after running rkill and Malware Bytes?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jarv

Jarv

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:10 PM

Hi All

I really need some help and I will try to keep this as short as possible.

I recently got a virus which was one of those really annoying 'Fake virus' ones where loads of message keep popping up trying to get me to pay for the anti virus software. I managed to use a clean computer to get rkill and Malware bytes onto the affected cpu. I ran Rkill and then Malware bytes which only found three infected files. After removing these I rebooted the computer as asked and I assumed all problems would be dealt with. (As I have had the same problem before and it worked last time).

Anyway upon the reeboot I clicked on the IE icon but nothing happened. Internet explorer just doesnt open. There is nothing wrong with my internet conection but I just can't get the internet explorer window to open? Also some other basic commands seem to produce no response. The fake virus messages seem to have gone but it is almost as if the computer as ceased responding to certain commands. I am wondering if it may be possible that I have other viruses on my cpu? That is my only guess as I just cant work out what this could be? The problem is I can't scan or anything because I have no internet! (I am using a different cpu to type this)

Please help if you can. By the way I don't know anything technical with computers - Only the basic stuff so please word any answers in easy to read steps for me!

Many Thanks

Jarv

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jarv

Jarv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:26 PM

Hi All

Just a quick update on my post above. I am back to using the 'infected' computer now and for some reason I have found that I can access the internet using Google Chrome but I still cannot access it using the Internet Explorer icon. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening and if so any ideas as to how I can fix this problem? I don't like this Google Chrome (Which I assume is another type of web browser) and I want to go back to beaing able to use Internet Explorer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jarv

Hi All

Just a quick update on my post above. I am back to using the 'infected' computer now and for some reason I have found that I can access the internet using Google Chrome but I still cannot access it using the Internet Explorer icon. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening and if so any ideas as to how I can fix this problem? I don't like this Google Chrome (Which I assume is another type of web browser) and I want to go back to beaing able to use Internet Explorer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jarv

#3 Computer wiz45

Computer wiz45

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:57 PM

Opps there is two of the same in the post above .

Unistall Internet Expoler do it by the Add and Remove Progrem and download A new Fresh Copies of Ie 8 form Google Chrome. Please post back to see if this work

Edited by Computer wiz45, 23 December 2010 - 09:00 PM.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:58 PM

That will not resolve the problem.

@ Jarv,

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Jarv

Jarv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:52 AM

Hi Both

Thanks for the replies. I have now managed to fix the problem by installing and running hitman pro which found a trojan and a couple of other things. It fixed these immediately and now my computer seems to be virus free. It does however seem to be running slightly slower than it was before but then maybe that is just me monitoring it more than I normally would to see how it is running after the virus problems.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Jarv

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:56 PM

Hello,

I would still suggest following the instructions I posted above. While the primary symptoms are gone, there could very well be other stuff still lurking just below the surface just waiting to rear its ugly head at the worst possible moment.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users