Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone In The Computer Repair Field Right Now

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 korky122

korky122

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:30 PM

i just wanted to know how successful you were finding a job. i plan on getting my a+ when i finish this course in july. i live in the philadelphia area. how is the pay.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:06 AM

Having been in tech since '92, I can tell you that the industry is vicious. The A+ is just the start.
If you are looking for a stable well-paying career, then you should go into the public sector. Things were great for a few years before the Millennium, but after 7 layoffs ( I hope the guys in Mexico, Indonesia and India are enjoying my former positions) in 14 months...I'm just now getting back on my feet and I have a family to support. Lost everything but my marriage.

On the plus side, the technology is an ever-evolving thing with the potential for massive growth with the right market (and, conversely, the old products that gave you that good job are gone...), and the knowledge that is available to you is overwhelming.

If it isn't, you're not digging deep enough.

On the last, NO ONE knows the HW or SW like the techs that have to support it. Engineers make a ton, but the products they make are designed and assembled by committee; not one of them knows the product like the tech that has to support it...
There is a big difference between knowledge and understanding.

I would suggest to help yourself getting the A+, build more than one computer, and install the last few Microsoft OS's (from 9x to XP including NT 4.0) to really understand all of the intricacies involved.

Last, NEVER stop learning. This site is a good place to start, but don't stop here...

-Lazarus Long

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:11 AM

Don't know how the market is in Philly but I can tell
you that here in Dallas most tech jobs start around $10 per hour.
I do repair work and charge ~$35 hr and when I do contract
work for system audits and penetration testing it's ~$55-$75 hr.
The only certification I hold is Unix System Administration.
Not to say A+ is bad, but most employers want A+, Network+ and MCSE.
I've also seen support positions requiring a bachelors degree.
And like Lazarus said "never stop learning", try to be as diverse as you can,
this makes you more valuable to an employer.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 korky122

korky122
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:47 AM

ok, thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users