Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continual BSOD STOP 7Bs trying to enter safe mode, XP Pro SP3+

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 IanWorthington

IanWorthington

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:01 PM

Hi --

Yesterday my laptop (Dell 700m XP Pro SP3, fully up to date) would not start. Safe mode didn't work either -- it hasn't for a long time, not that that was ever a problem until yesterday -- giving a bsod immediatly after loading sptd.sys, which I believe is a known problem with it.

I fixed my inital problem in the end by using the recovery console to restore a copy of the registry from a restore point from the previous day.

I'm now turning my attention to getting safe mode working. I first uninstalled the Daemon Tools virtual drive, and renamed sptd.sys. Testing safe mode again gave me a STOP 7B in BtHisMgr.sys, so BlueSoleil was uninstalled and, that proving insufficient, the offending driver was renamed. Next up was BtHidBus.sys, then giveio.sys, now MUP.sys.

I'm being to feel I'm going to end up uninstalling *everything* in order to get into safe mode, and there's probably an underlying reason that none of these are working.

Can anyone suggest where I should start with this?

Happy Christmas to all.

i

Edited by Orange Blossom, 26 December 2010 - 11:40 PM.
Moving to XP forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users