Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hardware diagnostics

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wkid

wkid

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:54 PM

I have what appears to be a HDD failure in the making. Thcbytes recommended that I post my problem in hope a tech could guide me through a diagnostic to confirm or deny my suspicions. My experience level is low, but I am very good at following instructions and giving accurate descriptions of problems. I have no other computer easily available to reply if disassembly is required, or this machine fails.

The symptoms:
When this computer booted this morning there was an unusually loud noise coming from the tower. From the first day out of the box, this machine has booted with an audible sound of the HDD or a fan revving up to speed. After this expected sound, the louder sound started. To describe it from a mechanical perspective, it sounded like a dry bearing. This sound and noise level persisted for a good five minutes. During the following approximately two minutes the sound level diminished until it reached the normal silent operation.

The machine has been up and running all day with no repeat of the ominous sound. I am a little gun shy right now. The extra stresses involved in start up and shut down are something I wish to avoid until I know it is safe to turn the computer off.

Helpful guidance will be greatly appreciated.
wkid
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. - Benjamin Franklin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

This will get the specs of your computer.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

killerx525,

It is interesting that you recommend Speccy. I have had it for several months. I have a screen shot ready to go because of a post in a different topic. I will include it at the end of this post.

What I am looking for is some sort of diagnostic program or other advice to confirm or deny the supposed hard drive failure in progress. Any information to help with the diagnosis will be appreciated.

Here is the screen shot of the specs of the hard drive. Do you wish other system specs?

Posted Image

regards,
wkid

EDIT: current temperature is 106° after almost 14 hours of continuous use.

Edited by wkid, 23 December 2010 - 10:17 PM.

#4 yorkred

yorkred

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:13 PM

it may be the hard drive, but to me this just sounds like a bad case fan, put the computer up on a desk take the side off and start it up, see where the sound is coming from. do not touch anything inside the computer.

before touching anything inside the computer take these steps

1. power down
2. unplug everything
3. hold down power button 30 seconds
4. make sure you are grounded

if it is just a case fan, disconnect the case fan connector (do not cut the wires) and you may continue to use the PC, if it is the processor cooling fan or the power supply fan, it must/should be replaced before using the computer again

Edited by yorkred, 24 December 2010 - 04:18 PM.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:24 PM

Im thinking that it may be a fan as well.

You can isolate the problem by pulling the power lead from the hard drive and turning the system on.
If the noise is still there you have eliminated the hard drive. Hard drive issues typically will cause lockups or other anomalies.
It might be the cpu fan. You can pull the power lead from the motherboard to test that, same with a case fan if present.
The only thing left then would be the fan on the power supply. Sometimes mine makes a noise on startup and then diminishes like you indicate

Keep us posted on your findings.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:42 PM

Eyesee and yorkred,

Thanks I will check it out at my earliest convenience. Christmas stuff and precautionary computer stuff has been going on all day.

regards,
wkid

#7 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:55 PM

I have not had time available to perform the recommended physical diagnostics. That will have to wait until tomorrow.

However, I just remembered Belarc Advisor. It has been installed on this machine since April. I have run it about once every 1 1/2 to 2 months. This should be long enough for the Smart feature to have reasonable comparison data. The Smart feature indicates a healthy HDD as of today. The link makes this sound good. How reliable is this information in real life?

regards,
wkid

#8 yorkred

yorkred

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 04:37 PM

I have not had time available to perform the recommended physical diagnostics. That will have to wait until tomorrow.

However, I just remembered Belarc Advisor. It has been installed on this machine since April. I have run it about once every 1 1/2 to 2 months. This should be long enough for the Smart feature to have reasonable comparison data. The Smart feature indicates a healthy HDD as of today. The link makes this sound good. How reliable is this information in real life?

regards,
wkid

if the computer is behaving normally except for this noise it is probably a fan not the hard drive. when the hard drive goes or starts to go you will experience strange behavior (lock ups) and/or blue screens.

also note the power on hours is 2BCC (hex).. convert to decimal that is 11212 hours or 467 days. I would say that hard drive still has some life left in it.

also the symptoms you gave saying the noise lasts for 5 minutes then stops also points to a bad fan somewhere.

Edited by yorkred, 25 December 2010 - 04:42 PM.

#9 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 04:59 PM

Thanks. I hope tomorrow will provide me with enough time to pull the case off and check the fans. I'd like to do a thorough cleaning while I'm at it. I have been searching unsuccessfully for a tutorial (complete with pictures) here at BC for the cleaning process. I have read it, but did not bookmark it.

Thanks again,
wkid

#10 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:36 PM

Here is the (hopefully) final update.

I have removed the tower cover and thoroughly cleaned the inside. The HDD, DVD, and fans have been checked one at a time with no unusual noises. Upon reassembly and reboot all sounds normal. I have no clue, but will be on the lookout for anything unusual. The learning process has been worth the effort.

Thanks to all for the kind guidance provided.
wkid

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:43 PM

Maybe all it needed was a good cleaning
Let us know if you need further assistance
We will keep the light on for ya!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#12 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:35 PM

What????? You don't think all the pebbles and bugs flying around in the fans caused the sound ... do you????

:hysterical:

Thanks a million everyone,
wkid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users