Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constantly Lagging Computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lauren_Marie

Lauren_Marie

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

Throughout the day, my cores will both be up to 100%, making my computer extremely laggy and I have to shut it down with the "off" button on my laptop in order to "restart." This happens randomly throughout the day when I am doing nothing but surf the web and talk on MSN or Skype. I've run a ton of antimalware/registry cleans and it doesn't fix it. My hard drive seems to be constantly running and the fan on my laptop is always on.

What is going on? It's a new computer, barely a year or two old!

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:05 PM

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Lauren_Marie

Lauren_Marie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

Thank you!

Attached Files

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:21 PM

I've run a ton of [...]registry cleans

That could have only added to your issues.

Registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommended for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

============================================================================================

Now....off to your issue...

I can see 14 processes, which CPU usage varies from few percent to over 20% (Firefox), amounting altogether to 100% of CPU usage.

In case like this, surely, some infection comes to my mind first.
Other possible causes....overheating, or some hardware problem.

Restart computer in Safe Moode, run PE, save its log.
Restart in normal mode and post PE log.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Lauren_Marie

Lauren_Marie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:33 PM

Thanks again, I do have overheating issues sometimes, where the bottom of my laptop is almost untouchable due to it's temperature. I'm hoping that happens only because of an infection, because as I said, my HD contstantly spins.

I won't be using registry cleaners anymore, it's a big misconception!

Attached Files

Edited by Lauren_Marie, 23 December 2010 - 09:37 PM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:54 PM

CPU usage in Safe Mode looks OK:
System Idle Process at 86.59%

Let's try next test....

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Post fresh PE log.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 Lauren_Marie

Lauren_Marie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:06 PM

I kept "Microsoft Operating System" running and anything I thought was the touchpad or keyboard (I wasnt sure). I hope I did it right.

Attached Files

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:30 PM

It still looks good.
System Idle Process at 78.29%, but if you deduct PE process, which is not normally running, at 13.16%, then you still have CPU NOT used at over 90%
Means, some of non-Microsoft service, or startup is your culprit.

Now, you need a cup of coffee and a lot of patience.

Go back to "msconfig" and re-enable ONE service.
Restart computer.
Run PE and look at System Idle Process.
You're starting at 78.29%, so look for some serious drop in that number.
All good?
Re-enable next service.
Restart....and so on.
When done with services, go for startups.
....until you find an item, which kills your CPU.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 Lauren_Marie

Lauren_Marie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:05 PM

Thank you, will do!

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:12 PM

You have a whole night Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users