Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

doing a little computer cleaning but looking for advice

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bryan123456789

bryan123456789

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:48 PM

Hi all. Happy Holidays. Since 2010 is near ending i decided to do a deep clean on my system like check for viruses and clean the hard drive and etc. I already ran the chkdsk utitly and thats all i did so far and it just got completed actually. Now what are some tips for cleaning out a windows 7 starter acer netbook. i think i might have a lot of junk. and also if someone could me with cleaning the INSIDE if possible of my netbook like for dust and all. and one more thing whats a good free online virus scanner except for norton or trend micro housecall?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:54 PM

Eset is a good online scanner
Also get MalwareBytes AntiMalware and scan often.
Get the free one
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:58 PM

The first step..in undertaking such a project...ought to be backup or duplicate the hard drive, since netbooks don't do much to facilitate installing Windows, if the need arises.

IMO.

Louis

#4 bryan123456789

bryan123456789
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:06 PM

How would i backup or duplicate the hard drive? i dont have an external hard drive. and i dont want to pay for one or a back up service. is there an alternative?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:17 PM

<<i dont have an external hard drive. and i dont want to pay for one or a back up service. is there an alternative?>>

I don't know anyone who provides free hard drives to users who fall in the category you have defined.

There are plenty of free software programs that will allow for cloning/duplication or backup.

Louis

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:25 PM

You really should have an external hard drive. They are essential for backing up, and come in handy for other things, too.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#7 Casual User

Casual User

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:10 PM

Ccleaner is a great program in my opinion. Don't forget to defragment your hardrive. First thing I do is scan for viruses then run ccleaner, Disk cleanup, defrag, chkdsk. I don't know if it matters but that is the way I do things. I third what hamluis and keyboardninja said about backing up your hardrive. In my opinion an external hard drive is vital incase you delete something important.

#8 acheleg

acheleg

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:34 PM

Ccleaner is a great program in my opinion. Don't forget to defragment your hardrive. First thing I do is scan for viruses then run ccleaner, Disk cleanup, defrag, chkdsk. I don't know if it matters but that is the way I do things. I third what hamluis and keyboardninja said about backing up your hardrive. In my opinion an external hard drive is vital incase you delete something important.

before anything, you should have uninstalled any unnecesarry programs and/or unused windows components in control panel> add/reemove programs. then you should remove all old restore points if you use windows restore, and only leave the most recent one. then run several virus scanners, as not every scanner catches every virus. malwarebytes catches a lot of infections that standard anti-virus suites may miss, and so does avast.

after these steps, you should run disk cleanup, then check disk and then defrag, in that order. you dont want to defrag before you use check disk to repair errors and bad sectors, and you dont want to do either before you have used disk cleanup to get rid of your temp files, internet cache and such. after all this, running a reg scanner like ccleaner is a good idea. i never use registry cleaners personally, i perfer to go through the registry manually, but thats not something the average user should attempt.

you ALWAYS need to back up your drive before running a registry cleaner, no question about it. if you do not wish to invest in an external hard drive, then its all on you. dont say you have not been warned. there are services like mosy and carbonite which allow you to back up your hard drive to their web server for a monthly fee, but i dont know any sites that provide this service for free- so your best to make a one time investment in an external drive rather than pick up a new monthly bill.

you can also run hijack this to disable unnecesarry start-up items and malware, when you are doing your virus scans. you can use msconfig to remove unnecesarry start-up items, but hijack this does this AND allows you to remove malware all at once, but it takes a lot of work to use it, or the advise of an expert. there are experts that frequent this site, and may be able to help you with hijack this, but ive heard the wait is like 10 days. hijack this scans your computer, and lists EVREY SINGLE running process, and its up to you to google EACH unrecognized item to determine if it is legitimate/needed, or malware/unnecessary, unless you just want to post the log on this site and wait the 10 days for a review of the log.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:40 AM

Just a comment...Hijack This is a malware tool.

It should not ever be construed to be useful for anything other than dealing with malware situations...and should only be run under the direct supervision of a person trained/experienced in dealing with malware.

Here at BC, members of the Malware Response Team are the only personnel authorized to suggest/supervise malware procedures which include the running of malware logs.

Louis

#10 Trezax

Trezax

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:30 PM

Windows 7 Manager is also a good software for cleaning up your system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users