Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU not working but detected?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gtracer

Gtracer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:25 PM

Hey all, I've decided to come back to BC after M0le fixed my router problem. This time, though, it's a graphics card problem.

So I was playing Fallout: New Vegas, when suddenly it crashed, and I got an error of some sort. Sadly I do not remember said error. But then I tried to launch it again, and got this error:

"Failed to initialize renderer. Unknown error creating the Gamebryo Renderer."

So I googled it, discovered a lot of people had this problem. No solutions, though.

So then, being sad, I booted up Borderlands, and got a General Protection fault error, googling this, I found a 75 page long thread on GearBox's support forum, and there was no solution there.

Being quite angry, I decided "Hey! Let's play some Dragon Age: Origins!" Starting it up worked great, then BAM "Failed to detect supported video card"

This told me it was a GPU problem. So I went ahead and checked the device manager, and it's all fine, my GPU is "working properly."

GPU is a ATI Radeon HD 4200. Crummy little onboard, but I run all the games I want somewhat decently. At least, at decent framerates.

Any idea as to what to do? I don't know much about drivers, so a link to a place to download drivers for the card would be great.

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Quick edit, I had played approximately ten to thirty hours in each game. I had about fifty into Borderlands when this happened.

Edited by Gtracer, 23 December 2010 - 01:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:56 PM

You did not supply information on your current operating system, so I can not post an accurate link for your video drivers.

So instead, I'll point you to the main web site. http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx

Use the Radeon download drivers menu to the upper right hand of the page and select from the four drop down menus.

This will bring you to the drivers for your card and specific OS.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Gtracer

Gtracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:00 PM

Ah, totally my fault. Sorry about that.

I'm using Windows XP Professional, with Service Pack 3.

And thank-you for the link! :)

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:07 PM

You're welcome.

If you continue having problems, please let us know.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Gtracer

Gtracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:19 PM

Hey! It's all fixed and working a lot faster than it was! Thank you so much! :)

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:30 PM

You're welcome and thank you for using Bleepingcomputer.com for help and assistance. :thumbsup:

Happy computing!

Bruce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users