Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware infection (antivirus protection) now computer won't boot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 jaazmom

jaazmom

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:20 PM

Antivirus Security Protection kept popping up on our desktop last night. Ran Malwarebytes, cleaned 14 or so items, rebooted and it was still there. Did some research then ran Malwarebytes in safe mode, found one more trojan, followed with RKill which found no processes. Rebooted and still there. Decided to try again in the morning, so shut down. Now it won't boot at all. Tried safe mode (each option), but it just hangs on the next screen. Is there anything I can burn to CD (I'm on my laptop now) that will boot the desktop?

It's an older computer, running XP. Tried booting up from AVG, but it gets hung halfway through.

Edited by jaazmom, 23 December 2010 - 12:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:13 PM

Hi jaazmom ,

Welcome to Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal (VTSMR) forum. I am going to assist you with your problem.

Please refrain from making any changes to your system (scanning or running other tools, updating Windows, installing applications, removing files, etc.) from now on as it might interfere with our fixes. In case of making changes I shall assume my assistance is not needed any more.

Now it won't boot at all. Tried safe mode (each option), but it just hangs on the next screen.

Please tell me precisely what happens, how far it goes?
Also tell me what is your operating system, Home Edition or Pro edition and if you have a Windows CD.

#3 jaazmom

jaazmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

Hello,

My husband worked on it all night last night and was finally able to get back into safe mode using the recovery system. He ran Spybot which found a bunch of stuff that Malware Bytes hadn't found and now it is up and running again.

Thank you for taking the time to help - very much appreciated!

#4 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,716 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:49 PM

You are most welcome, glad the issue is resolved and well done to your husband. :)

Should I assume you don't need assistance any more?

#5 jaazmom

jaazmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:45 PM

Sometimes he gets lucky. :)
You assume correctly, we're all set! Have a good weekend!

#6 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,716 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:55 PM

Have a nice weekend jaazmom. :)

This thread will now be closed since the issue seems to be resolved.

If you need this topic reopened, please send me a PM and I will reopen it for you.

If you should have a new issue, please start a new topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users