Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP freezing issues.. Possible infection?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 daredninja

daredninja

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:47 AM

A few days ago my Vaio laptop started randomly freezing.. Now it freezes during startup when programs are still booting up. At first I thought it was a hardware problem but I now believe I may be infected with something.

Started the computer in either safe mode or selective startup (without startup items) does not seem to cause freeze ups which led me to believe it is a software problem.

I then tried to run windows defender as well as avast antivirus and both programs freeze during the scanning process. Windows defender freezing at the same point every time. A dll within the system32 folder.

I have also tried unsuccessfully scanning with malwarebytes which also leads to the pc freezing.

I have tried running avg rescue cd booted from a usb and it was able to run a full system scan but did not find anything suspicious.

I have run GMER from safemode and the log was clean.

I have run rkill in safemode (where it did not kill any processes) and in selective startup (where it killed userinit.exe) but running malwarebytes right after still led to freezing in the system32 folder.

I am running out of ideas and am wondering if it might be a hardware problem after all??

Anyway I'm hoping someone may have an idea as to what I could do to resolve my issues..

Thanks!

Edited by Orange Blossom, 23 December 2010 - 08:09 PM.
Move to AII for initial assistance. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users