Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Toolbar and Start Button Won't Load on Startup (Windows XP)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 calvin82

calvin82

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:13 AM

When I start my computer (a four-year-old Dell which runs Windows XP Professional), it loads without any problem, but when Windows starts, it won't display my desktop icons or the Windows bar that's normally at the bottom of the screen (including quick launch, the start button, the clock, etc.). The only thing that is visible on the screen is the My Documents folder (not Desktop or My Computer or anything else...always My Documents). Of course, from there I can navigate around and get things done, but it's obviously not ideal.

I originally posted the problem on the BC Malware forum (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic365343.html), but none of the scans and logs turned up any malware, so the person who was helping me suggested I take the problem to this board.

I think that's everything...please let me know if there's anything else I can add to make the problem clearer. Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 seg42

seg42

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:58 AM

Do you get the same problem if you start in safe mode?

#3 calvin82

calvin82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, same problem.

#4 NuckenFutz

NuckenFutz

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:45 PM

Do you have a Windows XP install disk? I would just put it in, start the PC, boot cd, and go through the menu's like you are going to install XP but before it comes to installing it should be like hey...there is another copy of XP already on here... So it will ask what you want to do with it and then press R for repair and it will repair all of the system files. It won't delete any of your files or anything, re-arrange your desktop, or change settings it just repairs important system files and when its done try windows again
I was just playing around with the CD until I accidently did repair and I thought it was going to wipe my drive but it acually fixed some stupid problems like media hot keys not working on my keyboard. good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users