Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing drivers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TechPc1

TechPc1

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:01 AM

hi

i noticed that not all my driver updated

since i have motherboard with integreted sound, LAN, Video etc......

i installed everything from the web page of the motherboard (so i dont think i miss something)

but i see that the USB, IEEE 1394 , IDE/ATA/ATAPI controller, floppy drive, HD , CD drives etc...

and basicly everything else is windos xp default driver (2001)

shouldnt they be updated??? or its normal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:06 AM

Most drivers will be the default windows driver. It's nothing to worry about - things like video cards, network cards, sata controllers, bluetooth, and attached peripherals will need special drivers, but for standard stuff like those I/O devices you describe, the OS has standard drivers. You don't need manufacturer supplied drivers for them, and for the most part there aren't any.

If you're concerned about being up to date, you should install all your OS updates. When you go to the windows update website, if you click custom instead of express, you can look at the available driver updates from MS if you click on hardware.

But hey - your system works fine, correct? So you shouldn't even be concerned.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:06 PM

How?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 TechPc1

TechPc1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:47 AM

Most drivers will be the default windows driver. It's nothing to worry about - things like video cards, network cards, sata controllers, bluetooth, and attached peripherals will need special drivers, but for standard stuff like those I/O devices you describe, the OS has standard drivers. You don't need manufacturer supplied drivers for them, and for the most part there aren't any.

If you're concerned about being up to date, you should install all your OS updates. When you go to the windows update website, if you click custom instead of express, you can look at the available driver updates from MS if you click on hardware.

But hey - your system works fine, correct? So you shouldn't even be concerned.

ok man i had i feeling its something like that, my system works fine and i am updated .

i also update windows the way you described, and updating everything ..seems like its normal thing and only windows vista or 7 have new default drivers...

only one question as far as i know i dont have any sata driver or controller , but i do have SATA HD that works ..

here is my pic: Posted Image

#5 TechPc1

TechPc1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:49 AM

How?

driver updating software...

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:16 AM

If you have a SATA drive...working properly and properly recognized in both My Computer and Disk Management...you have no need to concern yourself with SATA drivers.

Some of us feel that the only time to update drivers...is when problems are detected which point to drivers. I'm not sure how some software developers have managed to convince users that there is a need for their products...but it just is not so.

If the system is working properly, why tamper with it?

Louis

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:45 AM

As Louis said....if the computer is working fine, leave drivers alone.
Most "driver updating software..." are nothing but a scam, trying to extort some money from you.
All needed drivers are freely available from your computer manufacturer site.
The worst thing you can do, is to update drivers in bunches. If something goes wrong, you'll have no idea, which one went wrong.
Also, never update non-Microsoft drivers through Windows updates.
Unfortunately, MS has a history of creating a havoc on user computers by providing wrong drivers.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 TechPc1

TechPc1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:01 PM

If you have a SATA drive...working properly and properly recognized in both My Computer and Disk Management...you have no need to concern yourself with SATA drivers.

Some of us feel that the only time to update drivers...is when problems are detected which point to drivers. I'm not sure how some software developers have managed to convince users that there is a need for their products...but it just is not so.

If the system is working properly, why tamper with it?

Louis

baiscly it works fine but i had little stablity problem altough i i strict on security ,mentaince, clean configiuration of the system

i thought myabe the old driver got something to do with it

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:32 PM

Well...I don't know what "stability" issues might be, if the system is running well and there are no error messages that need clarification/investigation.

If there are...then this post should focus on such and not installing drivers as a panacea for whatever might be wrong (if anything).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users