Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Running Ms Office Cd

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 floyd

floyd

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:47 AM

I put my Office XP disk in my CD drive to install a couple of extra components, and windows explorer opens instead of the install program running. When I click on setup.exe, I get an error that says:

"the installation source for this product is not available. Verify the source exist and that you can access it."

I have a legal registered copy of Office. I also tried using a copy of the CD I make in case CD were ever to get damaged. Tried in 2 drives. One a CD and the other a DVD drive. I'm sure I've done this in the past and it worked. I have also gotten updates from MS in the past with no problem.
I also tried Add Remove Programs Change selection. Same error.
Does anyone perhaps know if MS page might describe that error somewhere? Nothing on Google.
Anybody have any idea whats going on?
Thanks for your attention.
Floyd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:05 AM

It sounds like you have a bad cd. Can you look at the different folders under Windows Explorer? Do files seem to be readable?

There is a freeware/shareware program called CD Check that can examine a cd for damage.

http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/

As a last resort if you have a registered ms product, I believe you can get a replacement disk for a nominal fee, $30.00 or so.

#3 floyd

floyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:34 PM

I ended up calling MS and spending 1 1/2 hrs with them and the did direct me to a link and had me download and run msicuu2.exe. After that we had to do an uninstall and reinstall and all went well. Problem fixed. I really don't think they knew what caused it either. Oh well Now I just have to get busy and reconfigure all my office defaults, menus etc. I hate that. Just when I had everything the way I wanted it.
Thanks to all that helped.
Floyd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users